Friday, January 29, 2010

Generals and Tacos (A typical Rachel story)

Earlier this week, Rachel came up to me and out of nowhere said, "Mom, I know how it works with captains and generals." 

Me:  Oh.  Okay.  So, how does it work?

Rachel:  Well, the captains are in charge of the pirates, and the generals are in charge of the captains. . . .  But Mom, who is in charge of the generals?. . . . . Heavenly Father?

Me:  Um. . .

Rachel (feeling self-conscious about her guess):  Wait. . .no, that doesn't really make sense.  But, like, you know what I mean!

("You know what I mean" is Rachel-code for "I have no idea what I'm talking about and I know I said something that's not quite right, but as long as I throw this phrase in there, we can pretend we're all on the same page.  She does this all the time:

Me:  Hey, Rachel, what's 10 plus 10?
Rachel:  15?
Me:  No, it's 20.
Rachel:  Well, you know what I mean.)

Anyway, I don't really know what got her on this whole captain/general kick (or why she thinks pirates are also in the mix), but she's been talking about it a lot.  Somehow she has decided that a General = highest level of awesomeness.

Last Saturday I surprised the kids and brought home Taco Bell for dinner.  I got Rachel two soft tacos, and she was ecstatic.  "Mom, you are so nice.  I can't believe you bought me two tacos!  But do you know what would have been even better?  Three tacos!  And do you know what would be even better than that?  Four tacos!  And do you know what would have really been the General?  FIVE TACOS!  So, do you get it?  Like, four tacos would have just been the Captain, but five tacos is the General!"

Yeah, I got it, Rachel.  And there is no way you're getting five tacos. 

I'm thinking maybe we could start a new trend, though - if something is just really, really cool, I'm going to start saying "That is totally the General!"  It would be like instead of saying "the bomb."  (haha - do people still say that?)  Anyway, you know what I mean. 


8 comments:

Rebekah said...

i feel like all i ever say on here is, "your kids are so funny!" but, there you have it. your kids are so funny!

Poppy said...

You can always count on Rachel for a good laugh! I agree with Rebekah...your kids are so funny!

Diane said...

Your blog is the General. You manage to capture your family so cleverly.

Laura said...

your kids are funny, but you are funnier. definitely general material. way better than the bomb.

p.s. i love it when you comment on my posts because i can always count on a good, long, thorough comment. it makes me feel good.

KarenB said...

This is so incredibly funny! How do you think of these things? YOU are totally the general!

Audra said...

Well, I'm starting it,'that is so general.' I liked the way it sounded when Rachel said it about her tacos! I just love Rachel!

PS When I think of Taco Bell and your kids I can't help but think of my memorable experience when we all went one Friday night. Lizza asked the question,(which was more like a yell) is Taco Bell healthy? Suddenly everyone in the restaurant looked at me to see how what lies or truths I would tell my kids about fast food...I just love her!

Eliza said...

I just read this for the second time (I was feeding babe the first time, so I couldn't comment) and I had to laugh (hard) again. 5 Tacos would have been the General, she is sure right about that. Your kids are just so creative and funny.

Beccarigg said...

Hahahaha! Man, you seriously should bring your funny kids out to play with us in New Hampshire. That would be the general for sure!! And I'm seriously gonna start saying "well you know what I mean" as my little buy out in confusing conversations. Totally genius!