Tuesday, November 24, 2009

History in the making/Disrespecting Houston: Funny Ollie Quotes

Last week we mentioned to the kids that Daniel was going to be speaking in church on Sunday.  They were pretty excited when they heard the news, but I didn't realize just how big of a deal it was to them until Saturday night.  We were sitting around eating dinner, and out of the blue Oliver said, "You know, I think tomorrow is going to be a really historic day for Dad!" 

Daniel and I were laughing so hard.  I don't even know how my 7-year old knows how to say things like "really historic day".  The funniest part was that Ollie was kind of right - Daniel's never given a talk in our ward, and he even wore a tie, which he never does.  It was a historic day, indeed. 

I found some other quotes from Ollie that I had written down on a little scrap of paper during the summer, but never got around to posting:

1)  Oliver loves maps and anything to do with geography.  He is always studying the map of the United States that we have on our kitchen table and looking for cities with funny names (his favorite is Truth or Consequences, in New Mexico).  Anyway, once after looking at the map for awhile, he asked me, "Is Houston a big city?"  I told him that it is, and he gave me a really surprised look and exclaimed, "Oh!  I did not realize that; I'll treat it with a little more respect from now on." 

Haha!  I honestly had no idea he had been disrespecting Houston in his mind. 

2)  Once when we were walking to the pool to go swimming, Oliver had taken off his shoes (they were hurting his feet) and was walking barefoot.  The ground was pretty hot, and he complained to me that his feet were getting burned.  He then paused, gave me a funny look, and said, "Well, I guess that's just what life is all about - getting burned!" 

Where does he hear this stuff? 

3) "Wouldn't life just be sooo much better if you had the force?"




9 comments:

Poppy said...

Funny kid! You could just tell him that the force is like the Holy Ghost and that life is definitely better with it!

Jesse said...

Haha- your kids say the best stuff.

Every time we move, Cori is very tempted by advise once given him by Daniel to never wear a tie and let his hair grow out a little (thus avoiding any serious callings). Of course, Daniel was kidding, but still. Cori pauses for a moment before that first day at church every time.

Diane said...

Life in your house must be a barrel of laughs - add Ollie and Lizza together are just too much!

Eliza said...

Ha ha. Ollie makes me laugh out loud. Actually all your kids do. How much respect does Queen Creek get? Better tell him we live in Phoenix.

Laura said...

i am laughing so hard. it's not just the words he says, either, but the way he says them. when i picture it it's just too much!

i'm going to start thinking of my things i do at church as historical moments.

KarenB said...

Ha ha! I had to read this post to the kids. He's such a smart little guy!

KarenB said...

Ha ha! I had to read this post to the kids. He's such a smart little guy!

Beccarigg said...

Where DOES he come up with this stuff? He is seriously too funny! I'm impressed that Daniel has made it that long without giving a talk until now. That is pretty historic : ) And the repecting Houston thing made me laugh out loud. You've once again inspired me to try to write down more of Teya's funny quotes. The things kids say are just priceless!

p.s. Oh yeah,and I'm soo excited that we'll have more chances to get that Boston cream pie! That picture you posted is burned into my mind and I seriously just have to have it!!

Gretchen said...

Olly is a crackup. It's funny picturing him saying those things. He sound so old, but then again I guess he is almost a few years older then the last time I was with him. I can't believe it's been a year and a half, right. Can't wait for Christmas. Do you have a tight schedule. E--mail me your plans if you have time because it would be fun to schedule something other than Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. (I'm assuming we'll see you on those days.)