Monday, November 16, 2009

October pictures

I always like to post some of the extra pictures from each month that weren't really worthy of a post all by themselves.

Here are Rachel, Lizza, and Henry at Crowe's Nest farm (a fun place to go and see farm animals).  We got to see a cow being milked, and Henry about died with excitement.  I guess this outing could have qualified for its own blog post, except most of my pictures turned out like this (I have awesome photography skills!):


They also had some wild and exotic animals there, like ostriches!  We went on a little hayride behind a tractor, and stopped to check them out.  There was a little baby ostrich that was so cute.  I guess the dad ostriches are the responsible caretakers of the bunch - at one point all the grown-up ostriches took off running really fast across the field, and the baby was trying hard to follow them, but got a little lost and was left way behind.  The dad noticed and went back to find the little guy, and then we all cheered as they came running up together.  It was very funny to watch:


Henry is really lucky to have a lot of high-end toys.  Here he is with one of his favorites, called, "Try to stick the little popsicle sticks through the slot in the cashew can lid!"   What fun!


Oliver catches some sort of creature pretty much every day as he walks home from school.  Here he is with a little teeny frog (on top of a penny, which he also found on the way home):


He wanted a picture of both the frog and the penny, so we could see just how little it really was:


Pancakes - a Saturday morning favorite:


Lizza loves breaking hers up into little tiny pieces:


Henry noticed that none of the other kids were having plain pancakes, so I let him try dipping his in grape syrup.  He was thrilled with the idea, and started out with such careful little dips, I really thought he'd make it through with no mess:

Haha!:


Tristan and Oliver always have grand after-school projects that they come up with.  One of Tristan's was to make Rachel a "Super-girl" costume, completely out of cardstock:


She even had a jet-pack on back:


Henry loves helping me vacuum.  He feels he works better with a toilet seat around his neck:

What is it with my kids and toilet seats? (flashback picture, July 2007):


Me and the kids on my 29th birthday.  I decided to skip the cake, and made myself a key lime pie:


King Henry with his two loves - a book and a dog:


He is all about books these days:


Rachel and Lizza playing the Memory game.  I've started playing it with them in the evenings when the boys are gone with Daniel at football practice, and it's become something they really look forward to.  Lizza caught on a little too quickly, and can now beat all of us (seriously):

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I laugh right out loud at work and sometimes cry at your stories because they are simply wonderful!I appreciate so much learning about my grandchildren through the eyes and loving words of their wonderful mother. We are all so lucky to get to share in the absolute joy of it all!!! Love you all so much and appreciate you.
Nee Nee Grams

Diane said...

I love your family! Your pictures are wonderful. Seeing your girls play the memory game reminds me of Debra at Lizza's age - we'd be playing and she would go off in another area of the room. I told her if she didn't want to play, we'd stop. She would walk over, pick up two cards simultaneously (they matched), and tell me it was my turn. Or she would point out two cards and say,"Mom, pick those, then you'll get a match".

Jesse said...

So. Great.

I love the picture of you with all your kids on your birthday. Priceless.

The toilet seat thing seriously had me busting up.

Poppy said...

Your kids are just so entertaining! You have the best fun together. Wow! 29 years and 5 kids...you have a lot of child-bearing years left...you could end up with 10! Let's see if you can beat your mom!

KarenB said...

Great pictures! William's going to love the frog one - he has a tiny frog living in our living room right now. I love the toilet seat necklace. Too cute! I miss your sweet kids.

Laura said...

i think i like the random-gathering-of-pictures posts the best. it gives a good overview of daily life.
we get those tiny frogs here, too! pace loves them. what a great idea to hold it next to a penny. i can totally believe that lizza beats you at memory. that girl is crazy. i like henry's brown pants.

Marliese said...

Greats pictures and great antics. What a fun life. And Joanne, you are just a baby! Barely 29 with five incredible children. A blessed woman.

Beccarigg said...

Cheap homemade toys are the best! Sometimes I wonder why we even buy the fancy stuff when popsicle sticks and a cashew can are equally if not more entertaining! So many great pictures, the toilet seat necklace is hilarious. Even more funny when you see Lizza wearing it! I love seeing Henry with his books too. Brinley can't get enough of books eihter. She'll grab one after the other and then back up into your lap ready to be read to. Sweetest thing! Henry is lucky he has older siblings to read to him too!

Also happy 29th birthday! Your pie looks divine and you look beautiful. Hope you had a fun fun day!

Gretchen said...

Joanne,

So funny. I love your kids. They are so entertaining and you always inspire me to more fully delight in the simple moments with my kids.

Mysha said...

Joanne, you are such a fun mom. I loved the clever popsicle stick in the cashew can. Maybe I'll have to make that for Christmas. Hey, I can't find an email for you but I'm wondering how you made that yummy cranberry sauce at Eric's a few years ago. Do you have a recipe for that? mspoche@gmail.com