Friday, May 14, 2010

Texas, Our Texas: Oliver's Solo

Last night was Oliver's 1st grade music program at school.  About a month ago, his music teacher sent home a note explaining that she wanted Oliver to sing a solo in the program - they've been working on learning the state song, "Texas, our Texas", and she wanted him to sing the 3rd verse all by himself. 

I asked him if he needed to learn it or practice it at home, and he said he already knew the whole thing, so that was the last I heard of it (meaning, he got no help from me).

We took the whole family to the school last night to watch the performance.  He did such a good job!  I have to admit I got a little teary-eyed while I was filming him - I was just so proud of him.  I guess I'm one of those embarrassing moms now.





After the show - goofing around with Henry.

We let Oliver pick a place to get a little treat to celebrate.  He chose ice-cream cones at McDonalds. 

Five happy kids:
And the silly picture (requested by Ollie again; he's on a big "silly picture" kick.)  I think Rachel's eyes are my favorite. 
We love this Texan!

6 comments:

Marian said...

joanne, that was one of the cutest things i've ever seen! he didn't even look nervous! good job, ollie!!!

Rebekah said...

what a cute boy!!

Beccarigg said...

I would totally be the embarrassing teary eyed mom watching that too! He did such a good job and was so confident! WTG Ollie!

Laura said...

that's so cute! my kids would rather die than sing in front of people like that. good job, ollie! jo, the teary-eyedness is totally excused. i love how even henry knows how to do a silly picture.

KarenB said...

That was awesome! He is so brave and confident - and he sounded great! I can't wait to show my kids his good example when they get home today!

Diane said...

Welcome to the embarrassing mom club. I'm the president.