Monday, May 10, 2010

So much like a butterfly (except you don't have wings)

Happy Mother's Day to everyone yesterday (I'm still planning on finishing the Philly posts, but I thought I should do this one as close to Mother's Day as I could).

I was greeted nice and early yesterday morning by a bunch of pirates bursting into my room and yelling "Happy Mother's Day!" to me. I'm not sure whose idea it was to dress up before giving me the nice greeting, but it was a nice surprise.  They looked wonderful.
Right after church we managed to get some non-pirate Mother's Day pictures taken before everyone changed out of their church clothes.  I think everyone is in the middle of saying "Happy Mother's Day!" in this picture, which is why they're all making funny faces instead of smiling.
Then of course we had to do the intentional silly picture (because we didn't know that most of our attempts at serious ones had turned out silly).





































One of my biggest surprises this year was the beautiful cake that Tristan and Oliver brought me home from school on Friday.  They were so proud of it!  I guess the school was doing a fund-raiser, and after getting Daniel's permission, the boys took some of their own money and bought and decorated a cake for me. They've been waiting for weeks and almost couldn't contain their excitement for the "mystery present" they had gotten me.  They were also relieved that I decided to share it with everyone, although they said they had guessed that I would. 


















I also got several cards.  My favorite one from Tristan was this math worksheet that he gave me - he had made up lots of tricky math problems that I had to solve without using a calculator in order to crack the code.  Very fun!





































Oliver (inspired by all of the butterflies that have been hanging around on the bushes by our house lately) drew me a beautiful butterfly card.  I love his self-taught cursive on the front:
























But I mostly love the message he wrote inside:
















All the kids (except Henry) sang a special Mother's Day song in church, but I didn't get to see them because I was accompanying them on the piano and behind all the kids (I'm the primary pianist).  When we got home I had them sing it again for the camera (this unfortunately was after they had changed out of their church clothes and were dressed in all sorts of random things, but at least not pirate gear.  Although now that I think of it, pirates singing a Mother's Day song would be pretty cute).  Anyway, we were planning on sending the video clip to grandmas, so that's why they changed the words at the end to "Grandma dear" instead of "Mother dear."

I love my kids, and I'm so thankful that I get to be their mom.  I was thinking yesterday that it's always extra fun to be pregnant on Mother's Day, and then I figured out that of the eleven Mother's Days since I got married, I have been pregnant for six of them.  Kind of funny.


7 comments:

Beccarigg said...

Ollie needs to go to work for Hallmark! The kid has some serious card writing skills! : ) Seriously though, what a funny and cute message. I loved Tristan's card too, although I'm kind of scared I wouldn't be able to do all the problems without a calculator!!

The Pirate outfits are too funny. Teya has the same one as Elizabeth. Wouldn't they be cute together in a twinner pirate photo shoot? : )

Oh and the cake from the boys is so darling. I love how excited they were to give it to you!

Glad you had a great mother's day!

Marian said...

i love ollie's card! especially the "it's not wonder dad married you". way too cute. and tristan's math puzzle is pretty great too. and you look beautiful!!! i am so loving this hair cut.

beth said...

i love that you had to solve the math problems "without using a calculator."

our primary also sang that song in our sacrament meeting. i'm the primary chorister, so i got to choose the song. i'd never heard it before, but i like it!

Jennifer M said...

Wow. Adorable!

Laura said...

okay, your hair is seriously cute--i hadn't seen a good shot of it curly yet, and i LOVE it! your kids are seriously cute, as well. i can see why daniel married you, too. i want to know if you worked out all the math problems without a calculator AND without scratch paper. and what could be better than being woken up by some pirates? i'm also glad you decided to share your cake. seeing as how your kids are pirates, though, they probably would have taken some by force if you hadn't shared.

Eliza said...

No wonder he married you. That's about the cutest thing ever. And I was thinking I would have needed some scratch paper for the math problems, or maybe I just would have looked at the key and figured out what number made sense. Cheating, I know.
The song was fabulous. I especially like rachel at the end. She is great.

KarenB said...

Those cards are just so sweet! I love that they dressed up like pirates to wake you up. So random and funny. I might have to print out Tristan's card and have the kids decipher it for some fun math! The song was great. I sure love your kids.