Monday, February 11, 2008

The Case of the Nasty Princess

A few days ago while I was making lunch, Rachel came in to tell on Oliver. This is how it went:

Rachel (in a very grumpy, complaining voice): Mom, Oliver turned me into a princess!!

Me: Well, isn't that a good thing?

Rachel: Mom - he didn't turn me into a normal princess! He said he turned me into a nasty princess! Do you think I want to be a nasty princess?!

Me: What is a nasty princess?

Rachel: You know.

Me: No, I don't. I have no idea what a nasty princess is like.

Rachel (very frustrated with her clueless mother): Sigh. It's just hard to explain.

Me: Try.

Rachel: They just have all this nasty stuff, okay?

Me: Like what?

Rachel (in a disgusted voice): Like, they have a nasty black wand. Okay? Just nasty stuff like that. Do you think I want a nasty black wand?

Me: Probably not. That doesn't sound very fun. But Oliver's not really in charge of what kind of princess you are.

Oliver (quickly stepping into the conversation, probably to avoid getting in trouble): Well, guess what, Rachel? Ta da! Now I turned you into a TERRIFIC princess!

Rachel (smiling and giggling and basically overjoyed): Thanks, Ollie!

Problem solved, I guess. I probably should have thought of that at the very beginning and waved my magic wand and changed her into a terrific princess myself, but I was too busy getting to the bottom of the "nasty princess" issue. I really was curious as to what that was. I had never heard of one before.


I'm wondering if they might look something like this:

5 comments:

Beccarigg said...

Rachel should totally be a child actor. She's so articulate, precocious, and sassy, she would do awesome!

I'm glad her nasty princess problem was solved so easily ; ) Kids are so funny!

Jennifer M said...

Yet another great Rachel story. It's a good thing you're writing all of this down. She's adorable and hilarious!

Poppy said...

That girl is just too funny. I am sure that all little girls are somewhat bi-polar. They can switch moods in an instant. That can be good and bad depending on which mood you want and which one needs to be changed!

*natalie said...

She is a character!

Jesse said...

I wouldn't want to be a nasty princess with a black wand either!