Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Oliver's Latest Projects

Oliver is constantly involved in different projects. Once he gets an idea in his head, he works on it all day.

Here are the latest two projects he's done:

1) Transformers. Oliver really, really loves Transformers. He has seen the movie and loves it and talks about it constantly. Then I ordered him a Transformers book from a book order, and he loved it so much he decided to make his own Transformers book. So he drew each of the Transformers and whatever vehicle-type thing they transform into, and then carefully labelled them each with their own ability ratings, just like in his book (strength = 9, skill = 8, speed = 6, etc.). Here he is with all of his pictures before I made them into a book for him:








2) Oliver's Restaurant. This is what he worked on all day yesterday, and as soon as he woke up this morning he started right in again. It all began with a few cookies - he drew some cookies on some white cardstock, cut them out, and pretended they were real. He served them to everyone in our family several times. He had so much fun he decided to branch out into different kinds of foods, and from there he created french fries, chicken nuggets, and a bunch of other random things. He told me he was working on making a whole restaurant full of food. Each little food piece is colored front and back (to make them look more real, he says).

He keeps saying things like, "I can't believe I made my own restaurant!", and "Okay, Mom - if my restaurant was real, which would you like better - McDonalds or my restaurant?" (I answered truthfully that I would prefer his restaurant, because McDonalds doesn't serve corn on the cob or mint chocolate-chip shakes). Here's what he's come up with so far:






So, if any of you are feeling hungry, make sure to stop by our house for some good dining at Oliver's Restaurant (that's what he decided to name the place).


Make sure you bring plenty of money, though, as things tend to run a little pricy (the breakfast that he served me this morning cost me $30, and he told me that the corn on the cob alone goes for about $20).

Update: Oliver asked me if I thought it was okay that he didn't have any cake at his restaurant. I told him I thought it was fine, because usually only really fancy restaurants have cake for dessert. He said, "Uh, Mom? Maybe you didn't know, but this IS a fancy restaurant." Five minutes later he came back in with this beauty:

10 comments:

Tristen said...

What a smart boy! That's hilarious about the cake / fancy restaurant. I love to see how creative he is! I think his creativity will serve him so well for the rest of his life. You must be doing something right... maybe you can post some parenting tips, because I could definitely use some pointers!

Beccarigg said...

Wow! I'm so impressed with his transformers pictures! You can tell a lot of thought and effort went into those. I'm especially impressed that all the writing is in his own handwriting! I don't know how things are in TX but around here I don't think many prekindergarten kids can write that well, if at all! He must have a great teacher! ; )

p.s. I'm totally excited that we're pregnant at the same time! You'll have to keep us posted when you find out the gender!

Watts Family said...

Hey joanne-
Oliver is so cute! How the heck do you teach your kids to read and write before they hit kindergarten? I can't get my boys to stop for two seconds to ask how their day is going... I love reading your blog, because your kids have the cutest personalities. Are you guys coming up this way any time soon?
Chanel

Poppy said...

Can my kids come live with you for a little while? They could really benefit from some of Oliver's creativity. I agree with the parenting tips. You, your sisters and mother should write a book about parenting....I'd buy it for sure! You gals are some of the best mothers I know.

Audra said...

Wow, please tell Ollie, I would love to eat a his place. Some of the things I loved most were his soda dispenser thing, the cheeseburger ( I had to do a double take to make sure it wasn't real). He's such an amazing artist. I still don't know if I could draw a cheesburger from the top view the way he did. Oh and that beautiful thing he calls his cake. This is extra long, but it made me really happy the other when I took a picture of Londy and Ty said,'she kind of looks like Ollie in that picture.' We love him!

Jesse said...

Really impressive. We would be regulars at his resaurant for sure. Even at $30 a plate. If I didn't know you or Daniel I'd be super amazed at how fun/creative/energitic/focused/smart your kids are. But as I do happen to know you both a little, I feel I can vouch for the argument that they are just like their folks! :)

Jennifer M said...

What a kid! The corn on the cob and the little toy guy are my favorites. Cute with a capital C!

Gretchen said...

Wow, he is such a neat little guy. I love the transformer book. And the cake looks delicious with all that chocolate frosting drizzling down the sides. I want him to make me a cake like that someday. I second the notion of his mom following along and writing a book. Whenever I need a quick pick-me-up I log on to your family site and always find myself walking away with a smile on my face.

Glory Watts said...

Wow! Is all I can say! You're raising yourself a few little geniouses (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) I'm in total awe at how talented your little family is. I also can't believe how tiny your tummy is. At 20 weeks I look like 7 months. By the way, are you still up for making bread, things are finally slowing down around here.

Grandma Nini said...

I have to say that I love love love (always in three"s) this whole experience of the blog. All my grandchildren are so amazing and so are their parents. Thank you for sharing their lives and yours with me. It is such a miracle to me how paper, coloring tools and a beautiful mind had me wanting to eat at Oliver's place. All the kids are outstanding! What a thrilling experience you have as loving, teaching, parents. It is straight up stupendous