Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Sweaters and Ponies



Rachel thinks she's pretty much figured out how the world works.

The other day she came to me and said, "Mom? I figured out how to make a sweater!"

She added, "Okay. Here's how you do it: you get a bunch of sheep (picture her making lots of hand gestures here to show how she would gather all the sheep) and then you pull lots of little lines of string out (more hand gestures) and then you squish them all together and cut them into little shapes and then you sew them together and it's a sweater! Get it?"

That sounded about right to me, so I didn't try to correct her or anything. I'm still not sure why she was trying to figure out the art of sweater-making.

Then today I was reading a book to her that happened to have a small picture of a pony in it. She did a big sigh and said, "Mom, some day can you please buy me my own pony?" I told her that I thought it would sure be fun to have a pony, but it probably wouldn't work right now.

Rachel: Why?

Me: Well, where would be put it? We don't really have room for a pony.

Rachel: In the backyard! We can just get lots of little logs (lots of hand gestures here to show how she would stack the logs) and we can use them to build a farm in the backyard. See? It would be perfect!

Me: Hmm.

Rachel (sensing she needs to do more convincing): Oh! And a hammer. We'll get a hammer too, and that should help build the farm.

Me (because now she's solved the space issue): Well, it would also be pretty expensive to get a pony.

Rachel: Okay, let's just sell some of our money! (she can't believe I didn't think of that).


So I guess I'm all out of arguments, and we'll probably be getting a pony any day now. After we sell some money and build our farm in the backyard.

Maybe we'll get a bunch of sheep, too, and then we'll be all set for sweaters come winter-time.

Our future backyard:

9 comments:

Rebekah said...

rachel is a hoot! i love the backyard farm idea.

Eliza said...

Rachel has such great ideas. I love the outfit in the picture.

Diane said...

If you were to add just a couple of goats to the menagerie, you'd have all your grass mowing taken care of (sheep), family entertainment (pony), and leave you with plenty of free time, because your weeds and other unsightly items (not that you have any) would be taken care of by the goats.

audrey said...

Austin was sitting by me while I read this and he said to me, "Who is that coot grill?" (interpretation: Who is that cute girl?) He then proceeded to comment on the "coot sandals" she was wearing and asked again who she was. It was pretty funny. He was also fairly excited about the horsie and sheep at the bottom of the post, but they were overshadowed somewhat by the questions about that "grill."

Poppy said...

Your blog is always perfect for a good laugh. I can't believe how funny that girl is (and the rest of them) How much fun.

Joanne said...

Diane - if you could only see our backyard! There are SO many unsightly weeds and things. I could definitely use a goat.

Audrey - I love Austin's response! I will tell Rachel that she has a little admirer. How funny that he liked her "sandals"!

Beccarigg said...

Lol! I love Rachel! I'm sure you never get bored being surrounded with such thoughtful and inquisitive children! I love the way their little minds work! I remember when my mom told me we didn't have money for something I would tell her to just write a check (duh!) selling money isn't a bad idea either ; )

Marian said...

way too funny. what a crazy girl. she did look very cute in her sandals.

Unknown said...

What a cutie! She and Izzy would get along great!