Thursday, September 25, 2008

Elizabeth's Concerns about Heaven

Lately I've been showing the kids lots of old photos and video clips, some of them from before Elizabeth was born. She keeps asking where she is in the pictures, and I tell her she was in heaven. She does not like that our family existed for a while without her, and I think the whole "you were still in heaven" concept has been a little disconcerting to her. This week we started talking a lot about how we're going to go camping in Big Bend National Park on Saturday, and Lizza's all worried she's going to miss it because we're going to send her back to heaven somehow.

Whenever we mention Big Bend, she gets a worried look on her face and with panic in her voice says "I want to go - I don't want to be in heaven!!" Every day she asks me when we're going to leave and then she won't let it rest until I assure her that we're totally planning on taking her, and she doesn't have to be in heaven for this one.

I guess she figures that if she missed out on fun family activities by being in heaven before, who's to say it's not going to happen again?

I should probably do some sort of FHE lesson on the topic, so she can get a better understanding of The Plan, etc. I've never met a 2-year old so resentful of the time they spent in heaven and so determined to never go back.


3 comments:

Jennifer M said...

That's funny. You can see she's really thinking it through. It's a good sign she wants to stay so close to home.

Beccarigg said...

So funny! My little niece is the same way when she sees pictures of her parents without her in them. She always asks, "Where was I in that picture?" It's really hard for her to fathom her parents having a life without her in it. I think that's pretty cute!

Gretchen said...

I find myself struggling for words trying to explain things that my two year old just isn't going to really comprehend. Lately Beck is pretty clear on the fact that we both have a baby in our tummies. The other day he had a tummy ache but instead of saying that he said "My baby hurts" and lifted up his shirt to rub his belly.