Thursday, September 11, 2008

Football Season

The boys had their first football games on Saturday. We had to drive down to San Antonio, which is 1 1/2 hours away. I think the rest of our games this season are a little closer to home, thank goodness. We left at 7:00 in the morning and didn't get back until 3:15. And we were sitting in the hot, hot sun from 9:00 until 1:30. (They each had a game, and the games each lasted 1 1/2 hours, and we had to be there early to practice). Luckily, at the last minute before we left, I thought to bring a big umbrella, and I rigged it to the chain-link fence on the edge of the bleachers, so the kids and I could huddle in some shade while we watched the games. I don't think Henry would have survived if I hadn't brought it. And the snacks kept the girls alive. I think they ate the whole time. Does anyone else agree that grapes are just the best thing in the world when you're outside and hot and thirsty and hungry? I love taking grapes to things like this. We ate a whole big huge bag.

The boys had fun playing, but I think it was a bit harder than they thought it would be. And poor Tristan was near tears at the end of his, because he had thought he had gotten 3 tackles and was so excited about it, but then found out that they didn't really count because he was just jumping on the pile at end and wasn't really the guy who did the tackle. It's hard for me to watch both of them out there when I can tell they're trying so hard to do something, but they don't know where they're supposed to be going, so they kind of run around tentatively and then don't end up doing anything. I guess this is how they learn.



Oliver before his game. When I see him out there on the field, he doesn't look like my little chunker anymore, and I realize he's growing up.


Daniel trying to get the kids somewhat organized during the game. Is it just me, or does #88 on the other team seem a little big?


Half-time pep talk from Dad.


Tristan getting ready for his game. He's so happy to be playing tackle this year. I don't think they give them near enough pads. I don't know how he survives out there. I guess they just do.



I know he feels very tough in his helmet and all his gear, and yet, I can still see those gorgeous long eyelashes peeking through. I love this kid!


Tristan in action (#7)


Henry watching the games from his carseat. He wasn't quite sure what to make of all of the excitement, but he was a very good sport. Thanks to the big umbrella I was able to keep him in the shade the whole time.


Ollie decided to give Rachel a little reading lesson during Tristan's game. What fun kids I have!

6 comments:

Beccarigg said...

Umm yeah, #88 is HUGE! What is he doing in that division? The boys look so cute though, especially Tristan with all his tackle gear! They really do look grown up! I love the picture of Daniel in the huddle too, it kind of reminds me of that movie Mighty Ducks. I know it's about Hockey, but Daniel and Emilio Estevez have a vague resemblence...; )

Anyway, that's great that you guys had fun and that you were prepared with an umbrella and lots of snacks! The other day I let my purse run out of snacks and I'll never do that again! They always save the day!

Marian said...

i can't believe how cute tristan looks in all his finery. that helmet is huge! it probably weighs a lot too. it looks like he was running pretty fast though. you're an awfully good mom to drive all that way and sit in the hot sun with all your kids!

Audra said...

Ha ha, yeah #88 is huge! It sounds like this day was so fun! We want to visit! Also Daniel seems like a great football coach. Love you guys.

Jesse said...

I bet Daniel is a great coach. What fun!

Eliza said...

those football uniforms are pretty cute. too bad they have to bash and crash in them. i guess the boys like that kind of stuff though?

Anonymous said...

Hey Daniel I was wondering what positions everyone is playing.