Friday, January 22, 2010

Milking Old Steady

I love it when Rachel is in her "pretend mother" mode (and ever since she got that new play kitchen for Christmas, she stays in that mode pretty much all the time).  She talks in the best mom voice and calls everyone "little one", and says tons of random motherly things.

The other day when the boys got home from school, Rachel was laying down on the couch with a dreadful look on her face.  Oliver asked what was wrong, and she did a big sigh, and then said, "I'm feeling pretty sick.  I have two fevers and I'm pregnant!" 

I guess she had her baby later that afternoon (although he looked suspiciously not like a newborn, and more like a one-year old named Henry).  He soon proved to be too wild for even her superior mother skills;  I heard her telling Tristan, "Son, I just have one job for you - please don't let the baby talk to me.  I'm sooo busy, and I just don't have time to deal with him."  

Ha!  Now she knows I how feel sometimes.  She really is a good helper to me, though, and I can tell she's going to be a great mom someday because she practices so much with Henry.  She loves playing with him, and she's always willing to read to him or watch him when I need to get something done. 

A few days ago she told me she just wished she was a monkey, because then she could be such a good helper to me.  I was a little baffled as to how a monkey would make my life easier.  She explained, "Don't you get it?  Like, with one hand I could make Dad some breakfast, with one hand I could feed the baby, with one foot I could wash a door or something, I could vacuum with my tail, and with that last foot I could clean up the rest of the house!"

It made perfect sense, of course.

Today she was pretending to be a mother/farmer.  It was a funny combination. 

Here she is milking her trusty horse named Steady (yeah, I know.  At this point I kind of just go with it):
























Like any good mother/farmer, she taught her "little one" how to milk her own horse (named Marzipan, I was informed).  Note how they each have their own milking stool/ball.  For some reason these were very important to the whole milking process:


















And look!  Marzipan produces chocolate milk:





































I'm so lucky to have such good little mother/farmer/helper monkeys.

6 comments:

Marian said...

okay, can i just tell you how much i love your kids? that was too funny.

Laura said...

i should just read your blog whenever i need a really good laugh. you and your children are seriously delightful. in my next life i might want to be you.

KarenB said...

I'm get so exited every time you write a new blog post because they are always so sweet and funny. I burst out laughing on this one and Bill looked at me funny so I had to tell him how hilarious you are. You've got some great helpers!

Gretchen said...

I think it made Beck's world when he finally found a girl that would let him play house with her and actually be the dad instead of the dog. She's was so cute and nice to him. By the way I changed my margins by changing my format to minima stretch.

Beccarigg said...

"Please don't let the baby talk to me, I'm sooo busy and I just don't have time to deal with him!"

I laughed over that line for 5 minutes straight! Kids are so stinking funny, especially when they're clever and precocious like yours!

p.s. Absolutely love Lizza's super smile in that last pic! What a cutie!

Marliese said...

That Rachel is too much. There is something about little girls that pushes them in the direction of helping/mothering. I'm glad I have a few!