Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Sisters

There are nine kids in my family - six girls in a row, and then 3 boys. Every year the six sisters and my mom have a "Sisters Weekend", where we get together with no husbands or kids (small babies are allowed) and then have lots of fun together.

This year we stayed at my mom's house in Orem (my Dad and brothers were gone camping for most of the time). Two of us flew in from Texas, one from Virginia, and one from England - the other two sisters already live in Utah county.

I took Henry with me, which was so fun because none of my sisters had met him before, and Daniel stayed at home with the other four kids (thank goodness for sweet husbands who make this possible each year!).

My mom and sisters are so great. I love being with them. Here are just some of the fun things we did:

- sat around and talked and ate and played with the cute babies who were there

- Yoga "classes" taught by oldest sister Laura in my mom's bedroom. We heated it up and it was just like a real Bikram class, only better because we could talk during it. It was a little crowded, but it was so fun to do it with all seven of us.

- Initiatory at Provo Temple

- Lunch at Bajios

- Sister gifts! These are so fun. Every year we each bring a little something to give to everyone. It's like Christmas.

- Shopping. With so many girls together, it's a great time to get style advice/shopping help, and I always come away feeling a litte bit more fashionable.

- Art projects. My sister has been looking for some art for her bedroom, so I painted her some canvases. It was fun to feel creative again - I haven't done that for awhile.

- Haircuts. We all love the girl who cuts my mom's hair, and whenever we're in town we try to schedule appointments with her, so this year she just came out to my mom's house and set up her stuff and we all got haircuts. I was adventurous this time and got bangs. My kids aren't sure how they feel about this - Rachel called me "the hair" for a few days after I got back ("Lizzy, see that hair over there? That's mommy.") I think they're getting used to it now.

- more talking

We had so much fun and it was over much too soon. Whenever we all get together I'm reminded of when we were little and we used to imagine how awesome it would be if when we were grown-ups we all bought houses in the same little cul-de-sac and our houses were connected with underground tunnels and things like that so we could see each other all the time. I think we also included that our cul-de-sac was by a beach somehow. Anyway, sisters, I'm thinking we need to re-visit that dream and see if we can make it happen, because that really would be awesome.

Click to play



6 comments:

Poppy said...

I've always been jealous of all the fun that you guys have on your sister weekend! I can't believe how big your baby is already. What a fun time.

Jennifer M said...

Looks like such a good time. There are six girls in my family, too! We've had a few rare occasions when we're all together with just the girls for a weekend in SLC. There's nothing quite like it. Reading your post makes me want to do it again. Bad.

Laura said...

i'm all for recreating the culdesac-by-the-beach idea. hey, i'm moving to florida--maybe we could start there?

Beccarigg said...

I have 4 sisters and I've always wanted to do a sisters weekend like that! That looks like so much fun and I love that 3 of you had babies so close together! 3 of us had babies this year in my family but not THAT close! How fun for you guys! The agenda sounds awesome, especially the haircuts! I love your look with bangs! It's really a dramatic difference without having to cut your hair off. That's hilarious that Rachel called you "The hair!" I wonder if Teya would notice if I did something drastic with my hair...hmm...

Oh and one last thing, I have to say that my sisters and I have also really and truly discussed living together in a culdesac. I think it could get a little dramatic, but mostly it would just be tons of fun! (not to mention the help with babysitting!)

Anonymous said...

It was so good to see you. I'm so glad you guys do that. Looking through the pictures I couldn't help but smile. You are all so different yet so similar at the same time. By the way I love the bangs. You can pull off anything but I think this look on you is my favorite.

Parley and Katie Call said...

I love to see all your pictures! Glad you guys are able to get together and do fun stuff...the great thing about families is that you almost seem to have more fun the older you get! I hope you guys are doing well.