Friday, August 25, 2006

Grandma will like it!


Yesterday Oliver was trying to draw a picture of a Care Bear for Anita. He had asked me to draw it for him, but I told him he had to do it himself. When he said he didn’t know how, I told him that Grandma Nini would love it no matter what it looked like, but she would want him to draw it, not me. He was getting so frustrated because he felt like he kept messing up and he thought she wouldn’t like it.

We had a funny little exchange about the drawing.

Oliver: So Grandma Nini will like it even if it’s not good?
Mom: Yes, she’ll love it.
Oliver: Okay. Happily starts drawing.
Oliver (bursts into tears): Mom, I messed up!
Mom: No, that looks really good.
Oliver: But look at the face – I accidentally drew it in a circle shape and when I looked at Girly’s Care Bear plate I noticed that the face is not a circle shape because it has cheeks that stick out.
Mom: Well, I can see tiny little cheeks on yours and Grandma Nini will still like it.
Oliver: Okay. Resumes drawing for a few seconds.
Oliver (bursts into tears): Mom, I messed up again! Look, I’m done with the head and it looks like a monster! It’s so bad!
Mom: I don’t think it looks like a monster. And remember, Grandmas like pictures no matter what.
Oliver: Even if I hate it?
Mom: Yes.
Oliver: You’re sure she’ll like it even though I hate it so much and it looks like a monster?
Mom: Yes.
Oliver (chuckling): That is so weird. Okay. I guess I’ll finish it. Resumes drawing.
Oliver (wailing): Mom, now I really, really hate it! What should I do? It’s so bad.
Mom: Let me see it. What’s so bad? I think it looks wonderful!
Oliver (rolling his eyes): Are you serious? Look at that leg – it looks like a volcano! Grandma Nini will NOT like this for sure.
Mom: Oliver, I promise she’ll like it. There is kind of a funny rule with Grandmas – when their grandkids draw something for them, they always, always like it, no matter what it looks like. They always think it’s a good drawing.
Oliver: Okay. I guess we can still give it to her.

No comments: