Thursday, February 8, 2007

Special Days

I love it when I have a chance to be with one of my kids all by themselves. It seems like they act totally different, because they try to be all grown-up with you. In December Daniel did a "special day" with each of the kids. On different Saturdays he took them each out to breakfast and then to the store to pick something out and then to a playground or something. We were going to switch back and forth so that I did special days in January, and so on and so forth, but it kind of fell apart because I never did it in January with Sister Trip and all. I guess my trip shouldn't be an excuse for the whole month of January. Somehow it took up all my Saturdays.

Anyway, Rachel's "special day" with Daniel was 2 months ago, and she still talks about it. We'll just be driving around somewhere, and out of the blue she'll say, "Dad, remember when we went on that special day? That was awesome." And then she'll do a big sigh, like "yeah, those were the good old days."

I remember going on dates with Dad when we were little. Once he took me to a little Mexican place on State Street and I think we got taquitos and guacamole. I'm pretty sure that was the first time I ever had taquitos.

Speaking of food memories, you know what I think of every time I eat an egg roll? One time when I was younger (old house in Orem), Mom and Dad came home kind of late from some dinner, and I think it either was a ward get together and Sister Kwong made egg rolls, or they went out to eat and bought them, but for some reason (either Mom just thought I would like them, or she thought I needed extra attention, or both) Mom came into my room when I was in bed and let me taste her egg rolls dipped in sauce. I remember I was very suspicious at first, but then I thought they tasted so good. I've loved egg rolls ever since. Did anybody else get a taste, or was it just me? I remember feeling very special, but maybe she was going around giving everybody tastes. I don't know.

Thinking about these memories makes me want to do fun little things with my kids individually, so they can look back and think they had a good childhood. I wonder what they'll remember.

No comments: