Friday, June 25, 2010

Elizabeth's 4th birthday

Last week our little Lizza turned four.  I can't believe she's so old already!

Here she is at just a few days old:
One year old:
Two years old:
And last year, at three:

Here she is the morning of her birthday this year, ready to open presents:
Her main present (the pink bike pictured in the card) hadn't come yet, but the ballerina barbie plus a crown and earrings were enough to make her a very happy four-year old (the fancy prince and princess cards are from Tristan and Oliver):
In fact, the crown and earrings probably would have been enough all by themselves.  She slept with them carefully set up on her pillow all last week: 
She also was lucky enough to receive this fabulous "Super-Girl" costume from Tristan and Oliver:
She wanted to go swimming on her birthday, so we packed a little lunch and walked to the pool.  She had a blast testing out her new kickboard.
She had specifically requested two kinds of sandwiches for her birthday picnic lunch:  cheese, and "peanut-butter sandwiches with plum jam and no peanut-butter." (My kids think that both cheese and sandwiches with no peanut butter are extra extravagant).
Her birthday cake of choice was a pink butterfly.  The kids loved helping to decorate this one.
Happy birthday to Elizabeth!
Somebody requested a silly-face picture after the candles were blown out (Tristan was gone at a cub scout camp, so that's why he's missing from the picture).

Her birthday bike arrived earlier this week, and she loves it!  She has pretty much been riding it around non-stop since then.  It's a Strider bike with no training wheels that helps kids learn balance and gliding, so they can go straight to a normal bike without ever needing training wheels (yesterday Lizza asked me if it's okay if she calls her strider a bike, even though it's not exactly a real bike.  Before I could answer her, Rachel assured her, "Yeah, I'm sure that's okay, because it's at least in the bike family."  My little scientist.)
The first day she got it she convinced me to let her eat dinner while sitting on her new bike.
After seeing her cruise around on it the whole week, I'm definitely sold on the idea of skipping the whole training wheels stage.
Gliding down the hall (after this week it might not be allowed indoors so much):
All of her siblings love the Strider as much as Lizza does.  Luckily she's pretty good at sharing (I don't know - do you think they're over the 50 pound weight limit?).

Thanks for being such a fun girl, Elizabeth!  You have always been good at making our lives more exciting.  We love you!

6 comments:

Diane said...

I have an extra fondness for the name Elizabeth - what a beautiful smile your girl has always had, and still has. It makes me want to smile to look at her.

(I forgot you are the birthday cake queen...)

Beccarigg said...

Wow! Has it really been 4 years?! I vividly remember that night we came to your house and sent you guys off to the hospital to have a baby. What a lovely little lady she has become!

The cake looks amazing as always! And I was cracking up that even Henry was pulling a face in the silly picture! That kid is a character! Love the cheese and jam fancy sandwich : ) Hey, whatever they like on their birthday right?

Also my friend just posted about teaching her kids to ride 2 wheelers by skipping training wheels and just taking off the pedals. I was amazed that it worked but now that I see they actually make bikes for that I'm definitely interested! Very cool idea.

KarenB said...

Happy birthday to Lizzie! What a cutie. Cool bike. Dallin just asked for a two-wheeled bike, I'll have to look at the strider idea. You're kids got so creative with that card and costume...so sweet! Awesome cake btw!

Laura said...

hooray for strider bikes. i can't wait to watch all the kids zoom around at yosemite. and thank you for doing a birthday post to remind me that i still hadn't done pace's. don't let him see the butterfly cake. he was perfectly content with the chocolate pie (undecorated) that he got.

Eliza said...

Happy Birthday Lizza! I'm glad she finally got her bike- it looks like she is enjoying it mucho. I love the picture of her with her special sandwiches. So easy to please! Are you going to try to squeeze the bikes in for Yosemite? I hope so.

Audra said...

Happy Birthday Elizabeth! Sheesh, she really looks a lot older in all the pictures. Is there a recommended age limit for those bikes? I've seen them and am just curious. London would prob go nuts about it. I love Elizabeth and think she is such a fun, happy, and enjoyable person to be around, happy birthday!