Friday, October 3, 2014

April and May 2014

A summary of what was going on in the Mott house during April and May:

April

Henry’s first tooth loss!  He pulled it himself, which is just how I like it.  I’m not sure how I feel about him growing up this much, though.                                                                                 2014 04 02_2399

Best friends.  Although, really it’s more like Rachel is Cindy’s second mother.  Cindy always sneaks into Rachel’s bed at night, and whenever the kids are watching a movie and Cindy gets tired, she moves over to sit by Rachel before she falls asleep.  I guess Rachel is her comfort object?                                       2014 04 04_2375

More soccer:                                                                                             2014 04 05_23462014 04 05_2367

Somehow Cynthia won our family’s March Madness competition this year.  With her prize money she chose to buy the movie Frozen, and also a box of doughnuts (to share with the other kids).  I’m not sure which thing she was more excited for.  2014 04 08_2341

In the middle of April we drove up to Dallas to go to a Mariners game (they were in town to play the Rangers).  Daniel also used the trip as a chance to meet with some of the people who work with him up at the Dell site in Plano.  The kids were getting bored and restless while we were hanging out in the hotel room that morning, so I played a little memory game with them.  I set up 20 random things that I found around the hotel room on a little table, let them look at them for a few minutes, and then covered them back up and had them write down how many things they could remember. 

Oliver beat everyone by remembering 18 of the things.  He won a little prize (some sort of treat I had in my purse?), which is why Cynthia looks so depressed in this picture.  She was devastated that she didn’t win.  I think she remembered 11 things.  2014 04 14_2424

After our fun little game I took the kids out to lunch before we went to pick up Daniel from his meeting and head over to the game.                              2014 04 14_2428

We always make sure to get to the games as soon as they open the gates for batting practice, so we can catch balls, meet players, and get autographs.  Henry was very pleased to get his Justin Smoak card signed. 2014 04 14_2430

Cindy kept making funny poses, and then saying “Mom, now do I look like a good football player girl?”  (She gets her sports mixed up sometimes.)                                                                                                 2014 04 14_24362014 04 14_2437

Meeting Robinson Cano:                                                       2014 04 14_24412014 04 14_2446

And signatures from our favorite pitcher, Felix “The King” Hernandez:

2014 04 14_2449001

Mostly it’s pretty hot in Texas by April, but sometimes there can still be cold days.  It was freezing cold in Dallas that day.  I am wearing sweats under my jeans in this picture.  2014 04 14_2453

Here is my goofy little Rachel with a fake milkshake made out of dirt.  She made it at the playground near Lizza’s soccer practice, and was so excited to bring it home and try to trick Daniel and the boys with it.  2014 04 16_2421

Tristan and Henry drawing together.  Tristan put together lots of “how-to” drawing sheets for Henry, with step by step instructions.  So helpful.  2014 04 16_2422

Rachel and Lizza were inspired by the face painters at our ward Easter activity, and decided to try it out on Cindy’s cheeks.  2014 04 19_2523

Cindy wanted a snowman, like Olaf from Frozen.  I think Rachel might have a future in face-painting.  2014 04 19_2524

On Easter I finally got a picture of the kids in the famous Texas bluebonnets.  It only took me 8 years to get around to it:    

2014 04 20_2478

Happy Easter.

2014 04 20_24942014 04 20_2496

Oliver wanted to make an egg that looked like the Earth.  I’m not really sure how he did it, but I’m pretty sure that is North and South America.    

2014 04 20_24972014 04 20_2513

One of the best things about April was my Sister Trip.  I have five sisters and one sister-in-law, and we get together with our mom every year (or every other year, depending on the schedule) for a weekend of relaxing, talking, eating, shopping, etc., with no husbands and no children (except nursing babies).  

This year we stayed at my youngest sister Christine’s house in South Weber, Utah.  Even my sister who is living in Malaysia right now was able to make it. 

We started right off with some shopping.  Here we all are, minus Rebekah (taking the picture), and Christine (in the background, getting her baby situated in the stroller).  She was the only one to have a baby this year, which was different (some years we have all had a baby with us). As fun as it was to be able to hang out without worrying about napping baby schedules, I was glad there was still one baby available for holding and squishing and cuddling.     2014.04.25 Shopping 1

This is what shopping with sisters looks like (all of us in the same dressing room, lots of trying things on and then passing them around, sending sisters out to get different sizes, etc.)  The best way to shop.  2014.04.25 Shopping 4

A lunch break at Café Zupas:2014.04.25 Zupas

What we brought home:2014.04.25 Shopping Bags 1

When we saw all our bags together on the couch, we thought it would be fun to take a picture, and then we thought how alarming that would look to our husbands if we sent it and pretended we had bought it all ourselves, so we each took a turn pretending.  We are so funny.  2014.04.25 Shopping Bags Jo

Every year we do sisters gifts for each other.  Christine surprised us by arranging for a private Bikram yoga session for her gift to us.  I love doing yoga with my sisters.  (I’m in the back on the right)2014.04.25 Yoga

Some of the other sister gifts included a glass water bottle, a cool mesh bag from Malaysia, a bear claw back scratcher, homemade postcards and gift cards, some essential oils, and some homemade cream/salve for first aid.  2014.04.27 Sister gifts

My youngest brother, David, was just getting ready to leave on a mission to Finland, so my dad and brothers met us up in Salt Lake so we could get the whole family together for family pictures.

Mom and Dad with the nine kids:2014.04.26 Johnson Family (3)

Just the kids (youngest to oldest, left to right):

David, Victor, Alex, Christine, Marian, me, Eliza, Rebekah, and Laura:2014.04.26 Johnson Kids (2)

The Sister Trip girls (Alex’s wife Lindy is on the left):  2014.04.26 Sisters (3)

Dinner at Chipotle after pictures:2014.04.26 Chipotle

All the sisters saying goodbye to David (it was the last time for us to see him until he’s back from his mission):2014.04.26 Sisters with David2014.04.26 David

Victor was taking the pictures for us, and at one point he got really down low to try to fit us all in, and as any girl knows, pictures should not be taken from below.  We immediately were all yelling, “Nooooooo!, not from below!”.  And so of course it turned out way worse than if we had just smiled and let him take it.  I can’t look at it without laughing now.

Noooooo!                            2014.04.26 Sisters with David (3)

That’s better.  (he stood on some chairs for this one)                              2014.04.26 Sisters with David (5)

The next morning we went to Music and the Spoken Word at the tabernacle.  2014.04.27 Temple Square (5)

And then hung around at home being crafty before we had to get all packed up to go.  Here we are making wool dryer balls.  My kids had a hard time finding which one was me in this picture:2014.04.27 Wool balls (3)2014.04.27 Wool balls (2)

 

May

Henry and Cindy doing some weeding in the backyard (I wasn’t even making them; they’re just at that age where they still think weeding is fun)   2014 05 01_2547

Rachel at a Mariners game in Houston (Daniel took the older three).  IMG_0199

More baseball:                                                                        2014 05 06_2563

And more soccer:                                                                                                2014 05 10_2620_edited-12014 05 10_2624

Christina Perri concert in Austin.  I’m glad we went, not just because it was a great concert, but also because it was the first time we heard Birdy (she opened for Christina Perri).  Birdy is my new favorite singer now.  IMG_0206

Mother’s Day.  The kids were so excited to get all their cards and pictures and homemade gifts all set up for me to see when I woke up.  Someone had even made little labels for each kid to put their stuff by. 2014 05 11_2608

I am a lucky mother.  2014 05 11_2615_edited-1

Over Memorial Day weekend my mom flew to Texas to watch the kids while Daniel and I went to San Francisco (that trip will probably need its own post).  I’m grateful to my mom for doing this for us every year!  The kids love having her here, and I love knowing that we’re leaving them in such great hands.  2014 05 21_3473

After we got back there was a Fathers and Sons campout scheduled, but there was lots of rain on the forecast, so Daniel took the boys on their own little Father and Sons adventure.  They went “Exploring” down by the pond near our house.  Henry’s one goal was to find some sort of animal.  He came home with 2 toads, one fancy caterpillar, and a snake.  Success.  IMG_0672IMG_0676IMG_0677IMG_0678

After their exploring adventure they got some dinner at Bamboo Garden.  Also a success.  IMG_0681

The end.  Next up, San Francisco trip!

3 comments:

debby said...

One of these days you guys will have to make a trip up to Seattle with the whole family for a Mariner's game and stay with us. We have plenty of room. Also, I love the pictures of you and your siblings.

Diane said...

There's nothing like Safeco Field in Seattle with the roof open. You've got to go there. And talk about good eats!

Unknown said...

I like your family.


I like to play online game,such as RuneScape.I always buy the items online.So I am familiar with the safest and convenient way to buy RS Gold online.There are: http://www.rsgoldfast.com/