Friday, January 26, 2007

Scribble-Scrabble

Rachel had a moment of depression today. I went into the kitchen where she and Oliver had been coloring at the counter, and she was just sitting there with her chin in her hands and a glum look on her face. Oliver was gently patting her back. I asked what was wrong, and Oliver said that Girly was pretty sad because she didn't think she was a very good artist. I picked her up and gave her a hug and told her I thought she was a great artist, and she said, "no I'm not, Mom, because I always just scribble-scrabble."

"Scribble-scrabble" is the term my kids use for scribbling. I'm not sure where it came from, but I suspect Tristan learned it somewhere in kindergarten. He started saying it the first week of school, and whenever he used it in a sentence ("Mrs. Garza really liked my drawing today because I didn't scribble-scrabble at all) he would say it so seriously with a straight face, so it made it seem like maybe it was the official term they use at his school.

Has anybody else heard it before? Anyway, I always think it's kind of funny to say, so I say it to my kids now, and it seems extra funny to me because when I say it I am always laughing inside to be saying "scribble-scrabble" but they don't think there is anything funny about it - they think it's a very real and serious word, like "calculus" or "democracy".

1 comment:

KarenB said...

Jessalyn uses this term. Did she get it from Rachel? She shows me pictures and says, "Mom look! I didn't scribble-scrabble on this one!"