Thursday, May 10, 2007

Pet Turtle for a Day











This morning while I was walking Tristan to school, we saw this little turtle crossing the road near our house. On the way back home I saw it again, and I did a brave thing and picked it up and put it in the bottom of Lizzy's stroller so I could take it home and show the other kids.

Oliver and Rachel were very excited to see it and wanted to keep it for awhile, so we put it out in the backyard. I knew it would try to escape under the fence, so I put an upside down laundry basket over it so it would stay with us until Tristan and Daniel got home.

We gave it a bowl of water and a little dish with carrots and grapes, which I hope it enjoyed.

When Tristan got home from school he was thrilled to see that I had captured the turtle. He and Ollie took turns holding it, and then Rachel managed to get her finger bitten (she pet the turtle on the mouth because Tristan told her not to). After that we put the turtle back in its cage.

When Daniel got home from work he came out to the backyard and admired our catch, and then we all said goodbye and set it free. It stayed in the backyard for awhile until it found an escape hole under the fence. The kids were a little bit sad when it left - I think they were hoping it would really like us and stay and be our pet. Oh, well.

No comments: