Thursday, March 13, 2008

Growing Up - Leaving Home - First Crush

Elizabeth is growing up so quickly, which I guess is a good thing, considering she'll have all the responsibilites of an older sister soon. She's just been doing so many things lately that remind me that she's not my little baby anymore.

For example, she tried to run away from home on Tuesday. I was outside changing a lightbulb by our front porch, and Lizzy came out with a bag (stolen from my closet) that she had packed full of little odds and ends. She then informed me that she was "goin' Karen's house" (Karen is one of my good friends who lives about 5 minutes away if you are an adult driving a car and not a one-year old on foot).

Lizzy was kind enough to stop and pose for a few pictures before heading off. Here she is on her way, in an outfit that she had picked out all by herself that morning, all the way down to the ballet slippers:



She got as far as the driveway before realizing that this might be harder than she thought. She stopped and looked back and asked me where the car was:


She then went and recruited Rachel, and they went off together down the street. I'm not sure why Rachel decided to pack a newspaper. After a few minutes I realized they were actually serious and I put away the camera and went to retrieve them, much to Lizzy's dismay:



I think the reason she wanted to run away to Karen's house in the first place was to move in with Karen's 6-year old son, William. For some reason, Elizabeth has a major crush on this kid. She used to be obsessed with his little brother, who is almost two and would make more sense as a little friend for her, but once she moved on to William, there's been no looking back. She talks about him constantly. We went to the park with several families yesterday, and I had to spend the whole time chasing after Lizzy who spent the whole time chasing after William.

This is what most of my park pictures looked like:



She got so pleased whenever he stopped playing long enough for her to catch up to him, and he was kind enough to give her a hug for all her trouble.




I just don't think I'm ready for her to be growing up this fast.






6 comments:

Beccarigg said...

Oh my goodness! That picture of Lizzy and Rachel trekking down the street is priceless! That's so funny that she packed her own bag! It's crazy to see her like that because we were there when she was just a tiny little baby chillin in the snguli! And now she's walking, talking, and crushing on older boys!! It's amazing how fast they grow up!

Jesse said...

Great pictures. What a fun kid!

Gretchen said...

What does Daniel think of all of this. If Adalynn even has a little bit of a silly story or something funny she has done that involves a boy, Adam get's very serious. It's funny how some kids develop a crush at such a young age. When Addy was about Rachel's age she was watching Cinderella story in the car and Adam and I were talking to each other. All of the sudden we heard a cute little voice from the back of the car say "Austin Ames is so cute." I will never forget that moment. It was a first. I looked over at Adam and kind of laughed and Adam had a panicked look on his face and just said "Oh SH..!"( he doesn't say that very often)

By the way at least if the girl was going on a walk by herself she was old enough to make a good choice on her accessories! I love the bag.

Paige said...

that is so funny!

Grandma Nini said...

i am not ready to give up the grandchild for sure for sure for sure!!!!!I am now a woman of the new year and the modern computer age!! For me this is huge and I am so glad that this whole blogger stuff is out there. YEAH

KarenB said...

Well, you can be thankful that she has such great taste because it will assure you'll have some great looking grand kids :) I love all the pictures of her chasing after him at the park. I didn't even realize how much she chased him. That is too cute. Feel free to run away to my house anytime! I'll even pick you up if you don't feel like running - or just the girls if they want to come play (although Lizzie might be disappointed if William's at school - or maybe she can switch back over to Dallin with enough exposure :) )