Monday, June 2, 2008

Outer space is cooler than furniture. Literally.



Tristan is at such a fun "grown-up conversation" age. I guess he's been that way for a long time, though. Since he was old enough to talk, it seems he's been trying to fit in with the grown-ups.

Anyway, when he got home from school a few weeks ago, he was excited to tell me that they just started a unit on space. He said that it's really fun and not boring at all, because it's something he really loves and he knows a lot about it. He then explained, "That's why it's so perfect, I guess. Like, it's way different than if we were learning about something like, oh, say for example, furniture. You know? Because, first: furniture is not one of my favorite things. And second, I don't know that much about it. Get it? Maybe if I knew some cool facts about it, it might be a little bit interesting." He then stopped to think about it for a second, and then I guess came to the conclusion that furniture could never really be that interesting, and he added, "well, like I said, it's just not one of my favorite things."

He was saying all of this with a completely straight face, so I tried to take it all very seriously and not laugh. I just told him that it made a lot of sense, and I totally got it.

I love it when he has these little conversations with me, and I don't want him to stop, so I have to be careful with how I react - a few times after he has said something particularly cute, I'll give Daniel a little smile, like "can you believe how fun this kid is?", and Tristan will immediately get suspicious and demand, "Why are you looking at Dad like you think I did something weird or funny?"

Other grown-up thing he's been saying: "Literally". He likes to use this one a lot. But he always uses it correctly. So it's funny to see how many situations he comes up with to use it (Mom, I always get hungry in the middle of the night. Like, literally - it will be 2:00 in the morning and I will wake up and be very hungry).

He also says "meaning" a lot. (Mom, this isn't my favorite dinner. Not meaning I don't like it; just meaning if I had to choose a favorite this wouldn't be it. Get it?) He uses the "not meaning; meaning" line several times a day. I think it's his favorite new way to clarify. He loves clarifying. Maybe that's why words like "literally" are so appealing to him when he uses it in the right way - he thinks it's a cool way to say exactly what he means.

It seems like all of a sudden he's growing up. I'm not sure if I'm ready for it.

2 comments:

Audra said...

He sounds so cute! I mean I know he is but I just love these stories. I love it because they remind me so much of Daniel (and you). As I was reading, I was wondering what little personality traits London will have and it made me very excited. Love you.

Beccarigg said...

I just laughed out loud and told Taber that Tristan is a mini Dan Mott : ) I especially love how he likes to clarify things and how he really puts a lot of thought into analyzing and expressing his opinions. What a fun kid to be around.