Monday, November 3, 2008

More Halloween Stuff


Pumkin-head Elizabeth. This is not her Halloween costume. I just thought it was cute.


Tristan as a football player. He broke his arm (elbow in 2 spots, plus wrist) at football practice last week, hence the lovely green cast.


Oliver as Ironman. He constructed this suit all by himself out of miscellaneous scraps of black paper and posterboard. He said it's the first suit that Ironman built in the cave. I was proud of him for coming up with the idea, and even prouder when we were out trick-or-treating and he was such a good sport after seeing other kids dressed up in "real" Ironman suits that cost more money than I was willing to spend on a Halloween costume.


Rachel as a princess. She had such a great time this Halloween. She was trick-or-treating like a pro, and had lots of fun showing Lizza the ropes.


Elizabeth as a princess. She absolutely loved Halloween until we were out trick-or-treating and we ran into some other kids dressed up in scary costumes. She wasn't prepared for that, and continued to freak out any time we saw anyone with a mask.


Henry as a pumpkin. I just held him while we walked around the neighborhood. He stayed awake for the first few houses, and then realized nobody was giving him any treats, so he fell asleep in my arms and didn't wake up till we got home.


All the trick-or-treaters ready to go. The princesses are doing their best "beautiful lady" poses, Ironman is ready for some action, and the football player might be about to drop the pumpkin.


Our nice neighbor saw me trying to gather the kids together outside, and offered to take a picture of our whole family. We've never had a picture of us all together on Halloween. I guess it would be better if Daniel and I had dressed up. Maybe next year. If you zoom in you can see that I'm wearing black and white shoes. Does that count for anything?

THE NEXT MORNING:

Every year after Halloween we dump all the kids' buckets out in a big pile, sort them into different kinds, and hold a "candy draft". They each get to choose a certain amount of treats (this year it was 15) and they get to keep those ones in their buckets and eat them whenever they want. The rest we hide away until whenever.

It kills me every year, because there is always a huge pile of candy bars and other good stuff, and the kids spend most of their choices on little weird things. This year after the draft when there was still a ton of candy bars left, I realized that maybe they don't choose those things because I never buy them and they don't really know what they're missing. So Daniel and I showed them which ones were our favorites and gave them little samples, and then let them choose a bonus 16th candy from the good pile. (Because if our kids are going to be unhealthy, it is important to teach them to be unhealthy in a tasty way, right?)



Oliver had the first pick of the draft this year. Hmm, what's that he chose?


Ta da! A weird slimy Frankenstein head! Hooray for Halloween!

I guess I'll be eating all the leftover chocolate again this year.


RANDOM HALLOWEEN DECORATION:



This is the sign that has been on our front door for the past 3 weeks, courtesy of either Tristan or Oliver, I'm not sure. Preeety spooky!

11 comments:

Marian said...

jos, i just have to say, you look so cute in the family picture!!!! your kids are pretty cute too, but i have to say you stole the show. i'm glad that pumpkin suit fit henry. hopefully he didn't stretch it out! just kidding, if i remember right, weston was a little bit chubby as a baby too, so it was probably already stretched.

Amberlie and Anthony said...

They all look so cute, Anthony is going to love Oliver's costume that is his all time favorite movie:) I hope we can make it down there soon, we are so close. Take care.
Love,
Amberlie

Rebekah said...

jos, what a cute family! and i'm so sorry about tristan's arm. tell him i feel his pain. i've done the elbow thing and the wrist thing 3 times. no fun!!

Audra said...

I love all their costumes. It seems like you guys have so much fun as a family. I love how you all went trick-or-treating together. And I love the draft idea, Ty and I have been wanting to do that since we heard about it. Henry looks so so cute.

Unknown said...

I love your sweet creative Oliver!

Laura said...

i just realized you're wearing your hair down and curly! yeah for joanne! and the shoes are cute. and perfect for halloween. and other days, too.
i'm glad you put that your kids only got to pick out 15 candies. my kids zoomed right in on that and were glad they weren't the only deprived children.

Amberlie and Anthony said...

Daniel gave me your email address and I have misplaced it, but he said you would be able to email me some of your healthy meal and snacks that you make, we need to eat better and for some reason it has been hard for me to cook healthy things for us. Just when you get time that would be great.
Thanks, my email is amberliema@hotmail.com

Jesse said...

Your family is so much fun!

Glory Watts said...

Poor Tristan, I can't believe he broke his arm!! Does he ever want to play football again? I bet it was pretty traumatic.

Your kids are super creative. I love Ollies costume, he's such a little genious. My favorite is Tristan barly hanging onto Henry (he must be the 5th child ;) ) Rachel and Lizza's poses are too cute.

Btw, I'm so glad that your neighbor was smart and offered to take your picture. It's about time there's a picture of you in there. You look great! Love the bangs! Are they new? I can't believe you have 5, you look amazing!

miss you guys. I think of you everytime we watch (I should say, when Paul watches)BYU football. Seriously I do.

Christine McBeth said...

Jo, beautiful shoes ALWAYS count! You are all wonderful and I am so impressed with Oliver's costume making abilities. Thanks for the post, definitely entertaining me as I try to do what I'm supposed to be doing which is write an original contribution to academia (a boring and incredibly long doctoral dissertation).

Beccarigg said...

I love the candy draft idea! We are so doing that next year! It cracks me up that your kids choose the funky things and pass over the good chocolate! I'm glad you tried to teach them to be unhealthy in a tasteful way : )

The kids look great in their costumes! Teya didn't like the scary costumes either, or the cold, looks like your Halloween was a little warmer than ours : )