Thursday, February 19, 2009

Rachel's Reading Party

We finally finished Rachel's reading lessons! I think we're both pretty excited. Me, because I dragged out the "100 easy lessons" waaaay too long (we started last summer right before Henry was born - bad timing on my part) and she because it was finally time for her "I'm All Done with My Reading Lessons Party". Plus, as she reminded me the minute she finished her last lesson, she gets to have her own reading time at night now.

Toward the end of the book the lessons get a little long and tedious, so for some extra motivation I put a chart up on the fridge when she had 30 lessons left, and she got to put a sticker on the chart each time she finished a lesson. I told her when the chart was full, she could have a party. Instead of choosing to have a custom "reading party cake", like Oliver did, Rachel requested to have a banana splits party, which was just fine with me.

Here's a little video clip the night of our party. (She introduces herself as Hermione - yes, we're still in the Harry Potter stage).


The happy reader


The happy reader with her happy mom


Enjoying her banana splits (notice the wand next to her bowl)



She goes around now sounding out words wherever she can. The other day I found her on the couch reading one of my books - she had opened it up in the middle and was plugging away, sounding out one word at a time. Since then I've checked out some beginning reader books at the library, and she's a little less confused.





6 comments:

Eliza said...

Congratulations Rachel! I can't believe what a big 4 year old you are! Maybe we can visit some time and you can read us a book!

Beccarigg said...

That is awesome! I remember you telling me about that book when we were in Austin. Back then Teya was a baby but now that she's almost 3 (next week!) I'm more interested in getting it. At what age do you start the lessons? Your kids are all such good readers, I'd love to get Teya started.

I love that Rachel got all dressed up for her party. : ) I also love that she chose banana splits. She deserved them for such having such a great accomplishment!

Laura said...

that is too cute, joanne. and so are you--i still love your bangs every time i see them. we're only on lesson 14 with gretchen. how did you do it?

Marian said...

wow. i'm way behind. i haven't even started with elsa. can you come teach her, jos? congratulations, rachel!

Jesse said...

Good job Rachel, & a big congrats to you too Joanne!

I recently started with Grace. At first I was doing it every day, but her attention span seems better if I just do it two times a week or so. Getting all 100 lessons done is a big achievement indeed!

KarenB said...

Tell her congratulations from Cassia, William, Jessi and Dallin and me. We enjoyed her video. Jessalyn is on lesson 92! We could've had a combined party if we were closer! She's so adorable!