Thursday, April 8, 2010

March Madness

I know it's not March anymore, and also, this post isn't even about basketball (although it was fun to watch BYU advance to a second game), but our March was pretty crazy, and "March Madness" sounded better than "Stuff we did in March", which is what I had first.

I've kind of been out of the blogging world for awhile.  Henry and I went out of town at the beginning of April for my little brother's wedding, so while I'm waiting to get pictures back from people I decided to get caught up and post pictures from March.  I think I'm getting tired of blogging, because I feel like all I do is post pictures now.  I don't know if it's because I've been extra busy, or just because I'm pregnant with #6 and have no extra energy for writing funny stuff down (how's that for a sneaky announcement?  13 weeks today!).

So for now, pictures is all I've got. 

Rachel has fallen in love with chapter books, and is now on her fifth Boxcar Children book.  I love those books. 





































Oliver working on his balance.  He can count to 100 while standing on Daniel's hands.



A good napping spot for Henry.
When he's not napping in the cupboard, one of his favorite things to do is look up sharks and helicoptors online.  He used to just look at pictures, but then he discovered youtube (motorcycle stunts! shark attacks! helicoptors flying around and around in circles!).  I never thought I'd have to put a limit to my 1-year old's computer use.  Also, he picked that outfit out himself, in case you were wondering.  He doesn't usually care what he wears, but that vest has dogs on it, and Henry insisted.  He walked around all day patting his vest and proclaiming "Like it!  Like it!"
Baseball season started.  This might be another reason why things have been busy.
Ollie and Henry coloring together.  Henry loves it when he can get one of the older kids to draw him a tiger/dinosaur/helicoptor/big truck to color in.  He is lucky to have lots of nice older siblings.  I'm lucky that he has lots of nice older siblings, too - they take such good care of him.
The "tackle Daniel as soon as he gets home from work" game.  You can't see him, but Oliver is under that pile, too.
Henry climbs everything.  One time I got a phone call and the number on my caller ID showed my cell-phone.  I couldn't figure out how that could be right (I thought maybe Daniel had taken my phone to work on accident), but when I answered I heard giggling that sounded suspiciously like Henry.  He had somehow climbed up onto the counter and then managed to call the house from my cell-phone that was charging there.  He was so proud of himself. 
The main reason March was crazy was because we finally put together/decorated the kids' bedrooms upstairs.  Even though we've lived here almost 4 years now, I'd never done anything up there, and they were pretty bad - no bedspreads, dressers, curtains, pictures, etc., and Lizza was still in a crib and Rachel was in a little tiny toddler bed.  Embarrassing!  I guess the nice thing about how bad the rooms were before is that after the big changes (a bunkbed for the girls, and a new bunkbed for the boys, plus comforters, new pillows, and dressers) I only had to add a few finishing touches, and they were thilled.
I loved these pictures that I found to go above the girls' dressers.

Elizabeth loves her new bed!
I don't have any final pictures of the boys' room from after it was all done (I still have to move some pictures around), but here are some "during" pictures:

Henry loves the little bed we moved into Tristan and Oliver's room for him (I probably shouldn't even admit that this is the little bed Rachel has been sleeping on).  I haven't let Henry move up to sleep with the boys yet, so he's still downstairs with us now, but the plan is maybe sometime this summer.  We'll see how that goes. 


I hung some animal prints above it and added a Noah's ark quilt - he loves sitting in there and naming all the animals. 





I also hung some of my James Christensen prints in their room (I need to lower the one on the left - I just haven't gotten around to it yet -can you see why these rooms took so long to get done?). 
A glimpse of the boys' new bed and comforters.  Also, I moved my giraffe that is usually downstairs on my mantle up to their room, because it fit with their other stuff.  It might just be a temporary visit, though, because I kind of miss having it downstairs (Anita and Gretchen - do you remember when I got that?). 
Henry helping himself to an extra bowl of cereal after I accidentally left the breakfast out.
Oliver and Henry enjoying some Planet Earth.  The "animal movies", as he calls them, have become Henry's favorites.  He is always trying to re-enact the "crocodile getting the wildebeest" and the "shark getting the seal" scenes.

Lizza tucking in some of her magnet dolls for a good night's sleep.  Their outfits for the next day have been carefully chosen and set up in their little stands.
Oliver reading to Henry.  Henry loves being read to!  Once again, it's nice to have such nice older siblings.

So, that was pretty much our March (plus the St. Patrick's day fun from the post before). 

This was probably the most randomly illustrated pregnancy announcement ever.

14 comments:

Jennifer M said...

Congratulations!! So happy for you and your family. And we're SUPER excited to see you in a few months!

Laura said...

can you send some of your blog-posting energy my way? all i want to do right now is read other people's blogs.
very fun and sneaky way to announce #6. i'm still waiting for my big announcement. unless i count this as it. ha!
i love your kids' rooms. good job, as always, with the decorating.
those striped socks of henry's are my favorite.
pace and henry can watch youtube together. pace knows how to work the mouse now and it's very dangerous. i'm sure he could find henry some great helicopter shots.

audrey said...

First of all, congratulations!

Second of all, I love the way the kids' rooms turned out. I would love to know who the prints are by (the ones in the girls' room and the animal ones in the the boys').

Third of all, my boys are in L-O-V-E with the Planet Earth movies. They currently enjoy the cave ones the best.

Fourth of all, every time I see my kids reading, I think of your version of "Readers, readers! Yes, yes, yes!" - and then I laugh.

Diane said...

1. Congratulations!
2. The rooms look amazing. Your kids are so lucky to have you as a mom!
3. I, for one, love a lot of pictures, and it is so fun to see your darling family growing up.
4. I hope Lizza never loses the brightness of her smile.

Jesse said...

Hurray! That was a sneaky announcement, though I have to admit that I had my suspicions. :) We are so happy for you guys!

And I agree, the rooms look great.

AND we watch our planet earth videos ALL THE TIME. So great.

Congratulations again!

KarenB said...

I'm so exited for you! When is the due date? I think I just need to talk to you so I better just call or you call me. I love the rooms! I love Liz' smile on her newly decorated bed. You have so much talent for decorating! You need to come over and give me some pointers. I hope you're feeling well!

Poppy said...

Wow! #6...you Johnson girls...I tell ya! Only 3 more to go after that to catch up to Mom! You're a terrific Mom and your kids are so lucky to have you.

Beccarigg said...

Joanne!! You sneaky sneaky girl!!! I seriously let out a gasp when I read that unexpected little sentence squished in there! How exciting for you guys! What a lucky baby that gets to come to the amazing Mott home and be part of your awesome family! I hope you're feeling okay and not too sick! Congratulations!!!

And even though you're tired, please keep the pictures coming! They're priceless! The ones of Henry in the cupboard, on the phone, and surfing the web are SO funny! I love that little guy, seriously, I do!

The kids rooms look awesome! Lizza looks so happy to be in her new bed, what a sweetheart! Also love the Daddy dog pile, that is a nightly occurrence over here too : )

Congrats again! Can't wait to hear what you're having!

Rebekah said...

very fun post, jos.

beth said...

i don't even know where to start with this post... i love the pregnancy announcement, i love that rachel is into the boxcar children, i love henry's sleeping spot and his phone call, i love the greeting for daniel when he gets home, i love the bedroom decorations, and i love the reading pictures. oh, and i also enjoyed the seattle mariner's uniform. it was a great post! i love seeing pictures.

Gretchen said...

Great post. I feel updated on whats going on with your family. Addy will love it too. I love the kids rooms. It is amazing what a few little changes can do and you shouldn't be shy about admitting what it once was. You always inspire me to do what works best for my family and not to worry about if it falls within a certain standard. In fact I have to show you what we did with our kitchen. I never would have thought to put a map on our huge blank wall if it wasnt for you. It is awesome and I get so many compliments on it. Best part is now I just might be able to keep up with Rachy on my geography skills.

Tristen said...

This is so exciting! I love your family and I love that you share some with us on your blog!! Ken and I always look at your family and say, "See? We totally want a big family!!" and then things get hard and we're just in awe of you guys... :) Congratulations on the big announcement, I'm so excited for you, and I'm always cracking up at your kids, thanks again for sharing.

Audra said...

Things I love about this post...
Daniel balancing with Ollie in his work clothes London and I practice once a day, Henry in the doggy vest that actually just reminds me of little Tristan, Tristan in his Mariners uniform, the pile-on in the middle of your hallway, the boys' and girls' rooms...
Love you guys!

Marliese said...

Congrats, that is just great! Hope you are feeling well. Sounds like pregnancy hasn't slowed you, Super Mom. Your kids are the cutest! I always laugh when I read your blog.