Tuesday, March 23, 2010

St. Patrick's Day fun

I never really give much thought to St. Patrick's Day, so I kind of forgot about it last week until I heard the kids talking about it a few days before.  They were so excited!  Oliver and Rachel were especially sure that it was going to be the best holiday ever - I think Ollie had hyped it up quite a bit to Rachel.  I overheard him telling her that "It is just SO awesome!" and "Dad doesn't even have to go to work!!"  They were both a little sad when I told them this wasn't true.  Good thing it was Spring Break last week - I think Ollie would have been devastated to find out that there was still school on such an important holiday.

Anyway, the kids were spending all day making elaborate St. Patrick's day decorations and cards and pictures, and Rachel kept trying to find out more details about the big day - "Like, Mom - so what do we actually get to DO on St. Patrick's Day?", so I decided I should at least make it a little fun for them. 

Luckily, even with such high expectations, they were pretty easy to please - I bought some Apple Jacks, limeade, green apples, and green jello to eat that day and they thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Then Daniel called around lunchtime and asked if we all wanted to go to lunch with him, so I told the kids we were going to go on a really special St. Patrick's Day outing with Dad (as if it was part of the plan, of course).

Then after lunch we let the kids play around on a playground right by the restaurant, which they thought was an extra fun holiday activity. 

Here they all are in their various green outfits that they had picked out to wear:


Later that afternoon I printed up a bunch of little papers with rainbows and a pot of gold on them, and I wrote little treasure hunt clues on the back and then hid them all over the house.  The kids loved figuring out all the clues and running all over the place in search of the treasure, which turned out to be a pot of gold (butterscotch candies) hidden in Lizza's bed.

Here they are at the end of the hunt.  I don't know what Rachel is doing in this picture.
Henry loved the treats, but he thinks each individual candy is called a pot of gold, so he has been asking me for "more pot of golds!" all week. 

4 comments:

Beccarigg said...

Is it possible for me to read one of your posts without giggling? You're kids are just too cute! I love their giddy anticipation and inside conversations about the big holiday : ) That cracked me up that they thought Daniel got the day off! So stinking cute! That first picture of them all in green is just priceless! I wish I had done something cute for St. Patty's. I did try to make Teya wear green but she refused because it didn't match her pink bracelet. When we went to playgroup though I think she did feel self conscious because all the other kids were in green, so the next day she donned a green shirt and pinched me several times for not wearing one. A day off but I guess that's my fault. Maybe next year we'll try some of your cute ideas!

KarenB said...

What a fun idea for St. Patrick's Day! I forgot it was March 17th until Bill called from work around noon and asked me what we were doing for St. Patrick's day. I told the kids what day it was and they quickly put on something green. That's pretty much all we did, but for some reason they thought it was a pretty fun time. I'll have to spruce it up a little next year! Those pot-of-golds look yummy and your playground pictures made me really with we could be out there with you - I wonder if Lizzy would still chase William around and show him her tricks?

Laura said...

what a great day! i love the green outfits. my kids are never allowed to find out what a fun mom you are. you would have 5 permanent visitors, for sure. the picture of the pot of gold is making me want some myself. good thing loren's not here to make an emergency gold run for me.

Audra said...

I better turn my game on because London is going to be three this year and I have a feeling she is going to love holidays more and more the older she gets.
This year on St. Patrick's day I took her to a park and forgot all about the holiday until all the kids were decked out in green, some with green Mardi gras beads and all. I was just hoping someone wouldn't pinch her cause she didn't have green on...Luckily I made it out without any huge disappointment from her.