Friday, November 4, 2011

August 2011

When Daniel and I got back from our Washington, DC trip at the beginning of August, my parents were able to stay with us for a few more days before heading home. 

We spent lots of time at the pool so we could see all of the new swimming skills my mom had been teaching the kids while we were gone.  I need to go away more often – they learned so much!

collage - swimming

Also while we were gone, they had discovered a tiny little splash park near our house (much closer than the pool).  I had been once, but forgotten all about it.  We went there a lot the rest of the summer.  It’s where the picture at the top of the blog was taken.  I was trying to get wonderful pictures of all the kids together, but of course they weren’t turning out how I was imagining them in my brain.2011 08 02_1614

2011 08 02_1616

This is a crazy video of Oliver.  He really is a little Bear Grylls in the making.  I’m glad we live near a creek with wildlife so he can have these types of 9-year old boy experiences.  Except I think this really did hurt.

This is Henry being so sick that he fell asleep in the laundry I was folding.  He slept for a few days straight.2011 08 04_1636

Rachel took over my camera to practice taking pictures.  Lizza was a very willing model.  I don’t know where she learned all these poses she does – it’s not from me, and I’m pretty sure it’s not from Daniel.  2011 08 02_1620

Rachel also photographed the wedding of Lizza and Henry/Batman.2011 08 04_1680

The happy couple dancing:2011 08 04_1639

The runaway groom:2011 08 04_1644

The wedding photographer:2011 08 04_1654

The next day Lizza got married again, only this time she didn’t invite the groom for pictures.  collage - wedding

Also in August, I remembered how much I used to love making paper dolls when I was a kid, and I realized my girls would love them.  I found some really cute Victorian paper doll girls online and printed them out.  I was right – they loved them.  They couldn’t believe I had known about such a fabulous thing as paper dolls and never told them about it before.   Rachel said it was the best day of her life (she is both dramatic and easy to please).2011 08 05_1681

Other crafts in August included these long and poky fake fingers made by Rachel out of paper.  All the better to scratch Tristan’s back with!2011 08 08_0439

Henry spent most of August walking around in just his underwear, as we were working on toilet-training, and that seemed the easiest way.  He did great, and it is nice to only have one in diapers now.2011 08 10_0436

His favorite thing about wearing underwear was how much better they are at storing weapons than diapers:2011 08 10_0437_edited-12011 08 12_0453

These beautiful princesses are Rachel and her best friend, Addie.  They are joined in one picture by King Henry, who is dressed in his favorite “cool-guy” outfit – underwear plus sandals.  Several times per day he would shout out, “wait, I have to go get my sandals so I can be cool.”  2011-082

Oliver turned 9 on August 17th.  He had chocolate pancakes for breakfast and a fun day at the pool.  I framed a picture of us up on stage with Eddie Vedder, along with his ticket and pick, since going to the concert was his birthday present.  I don’t think he regrets making that choice!2011-083

Before school started there was a fun party at our neighborhood pool.  They brought in this bouncy waterslide that the kids loved.

2011 09 12_0265_edited-12011 09 12_0269_edited-1

Then it was back to school for these three.  Rachel is in 1st grade, Oliver is in 3rd, and Tristan is in 5th.  2011 08 23_0477

It’s nice to still have Lizza at home to help with Cynthia and push her around in toy buckets full of blankets.2011 08 23_0479

She also rigged up this little train using nothing but duct tape.2011 08 23_0483

Here she is explaining it (because nobody explains in a cuter voice than Lizza)

Cynthia tuned 10 months old in August, and started walking around while holding onto things. 2011 08 11_0455_edited-1

She also discovered books.  She loves reading.  One of my favorite things she does is when she goes and grabs a book from the book basket and then tries to back up into my lap to get me to read to her.2011-084

Henry spent a whole day dressed in a black leotard pretending he was the Emperor.  He was walking around shooting “cool lightning” out of his hands at everyone, and talking in a really funny emperor voice.  It was mostly a growly voice, but every once in awhile he’d throw in some crazy accents, too. 

Here’s a little video clip of him in all his emperor glory.  I included subtitles on some sections where it seemed like his emperor accent was a little hard to understand. 

I love how he was such a generous emperor and gave grapes to all the people after he choked them with his lightning.  We really love him.

2011 08 30_0154

The end.

6 comments:

Beccarigg said...

I think I probably start half of my comments on your blog with "OH MY GOSH!" But that is seriously my reaction after watching those hilarious videos! I mean, Henry the emperor shocking his victims was downright hysterical! (very fine acting by the other kids I must say...) And I was seriously dying when that lizard bit Ollie's lip! Oh my gosh!!! So funny you caught that on video!! I really do love your kids, they just make me so happy. The bride and the caped groom pictures might be some of my all time favorites. : )

Rebekah said...

oh. my. word. i died laughing at the lizard and ollie. poor kid. you can tell by his face that it hurts so bad! (mariah's wondering what in the world is wrong with me, cause i'm still laughing so hard my eyes are watering.)

debby said...

I love the phase where they back up into your lap with books.

Corinne Ritz said...

Hysterical! I loved every bit of this post! I laughed out loud MANY times.

Chad said...

did i really not comment on this post? i'm just looking at it again (because i was looking at the nativity picture again to get ideas for my kids outfits) and it is one of my favorites of all time. i know we've already talked about how funny the video clips are, but the pictures are so great too. i love the bride ones and rachel's fake fingers one, and then all the ones of henry. rachel really does make the best picture faces of anyone i know.

Marian said...

oops, and that comment was really me. not that chad wouldn't say those same things - i just wanted to be clear about who is saying what here.