Monday, April 2, 2007

Sign Language

Saturday was a big day for Lizzy. She figured out how to do the signs for "eat" and "more" and she also started doing the "so big" game for anyone who wants to see (she started doing it with me a few weeks ago, but has refused to show anyone else up until now).

It was funny to me that she started doing this all at once. I guess she figured out that she can get lots of attention by doing tricks, so she decided it was in her best interest to stop pretending she didn't know anything.

I don't think she really knows what "more" means, because she signs it a lot when it doesn't make any sense, but she definitely knows what "eat" means. That was the first thing she asked me this morning when she was done nursing. Then just barely Oliver finally came down for breakfast (he's usually the first one down, but I haven't even seen him this morning because he's been very occupied upstairs building a duplo ship with a force field and a magic ladder) and Rachel decided to join him for what would be her third bowl of cereal, and Lizzy saw them going into the kitchen and she signed to me that she wants to eat again.

The funny thing is, I think she maybe started trying to sign "eat" a few weeks ago, but I didn't know that was what she was doing. I think I told a few of you that I was worried that something was wrong with Lizzy because she was doing some weird things, including hitting her cheek repeatedly with her hand. I have noticed now that when she's signing "eat", she gets really wild with it and sometimes misses and then just hits her cheek, and it looks just the same as what she started doing a few weeks ago. Whoops. I guess she was just hungry.

No comments: