Friday, November 2, 2007

Hard Decisions


My kids make the strangest candy choices. I don't know if you could tell from the "candy piles" picture on the Halloween post, but we had quite a few good piles going on, with lots of candy bars, chocolate, skittles, M&Ms, etc.

When I was helping the kids pick their 10 pieces after our ward party (they got to choose 10 more after trick-or-treating), we still had several turns like this:

Me: Okay, Rachel, it's your turn to choose. What one do you want?

Rachel: Um, I want this one. She grabs a little miniature sour apple-bubblegum dum-dum from the pile.

Me: Shudder. Are you sure? Look at all these big yummy treats over here.

Rachel: No, thanks. I just really want this one.

Me:
Don't you want a big bag of skittles or a Reese's peanut butter cup?

Rachel:
No, this one's my very favorite. Plop. Into her bucket it goes.

Me:
Sigh. Okay, Oliver, your turn.

Oliver also had questionable taste. Tristan at least was trying to choose some big things. He has all these big plans for saving his candy. He told me yesterday that he figured out he could save it for 80 days if he only eats one piece every 4 days. About 10 minutes later he came and told me that he was thinking about saving them for just 40 days, or he might just do what Oliver is doing and eat one piece every day. We'll see.


Update: Since Halloween the boys have each held themselves strictly to only one piece per day, even though we said they could eat it whenever they want to. They are both alarmed that Rachel is blowing through hers much faster, as they are sure she will regret it later. They are probably right. The other day I heard Tristan say to Rachel as he watched her search around in her bucket for another treat, "I wouldn't do that Rachel! If I were you I would not eat one for like 5 days and then maybe you won't run out so fast."

3 comments:

*natalie said...

Hi Mott Family!

I noticed a link to your blog on the Mordock's sidebar and thought I would check it out. Glad to hear that all is well with your family...your kids are just adorable. We hope to keep in touch!

Your BYU friends,

Rex and Natalie Hansen

To see what we have been up to...

www.rexandnataliehansen.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Ha, When I heard this story all I could do was laugh and I just can;t wait to tell Tyson how funnny. My favorite part is Tristan's concern for Rachel's soon to be gone candy...But really I think I would like to adapt you rules for Halloween treats...it really seems like Trist and Ollie are better examples of self-discipline than me...I think I might be like Rachel and just end up being sorry later but unable to resist in moment.

Joanne said...

Yeah, Rachel definitely takes after me, Audra. I don't have the willpower that Tristan and oliver have, and somehow I ended up with the big box of leftover Halloween treats that they didn't choose (all the good ones) and I am quickly working my way through them.