Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Here we go again. . .*

*see this post for appropriate background info


Oliver making a Christmas drawing to hang up

Last night we were driving home from Daniel's work and Oliver and Tristan were counting all of the houses with Christmas lights/decorations. At one point after we drove past a particularly fancy house, I heard Oliver mutter to himself, "Okay, I have GOT to start decorating tomorrow.

First thing this morning he went straight to work. This is what he's come up with so far. . .

- a little paper wreath to hang on our door. He was very proud that the wreath is visible from the street (after he hung it he walked out to the street to make sure), but he keeps asking me if people will think it's a real wreath or if they'll know it's just made out of paper. I told him they might realize it's paper if they come really close, but they'll still love it. So if you come to our house, you may want to compliment Oliver on the wreath.

- six little "Christmas lights" made out of paper, also hanging on our door. He was so excited when he figured out he could make his own christmas lights out of paper. It made me really sad for him, though, that as a five-year old he feels completely responsible for decorating our house, and he is only equipped with paper and markers to do it. I think part of him is very pleased that he made his own christmas lights, but the other part of him realizes that they don't have quite the same effect as real ones, and he's a little frustrated about that.

- a miniature candy cane decoration for the yard

- a miniature present decoration for the yard







In the past I've always felt like we had plenty of decorations - I always get a real christmas tree with lights and set up tons of nativity scenes around the house, but I've never really bothered with the outside of the house. This year I am feeling like I might need to do a little bit extra for Oliver's sake. I am torn between getting a few cheap little things that Oliver will be thrilled with (if he is so desperate for candy canes in the yard, Wal-Mart has 4-foot tall ones with lights for 5 bucks) or spending a little more to get some classy decorations that I actually like and will want to save for next year.

I told Oliver I'd take him to the store tonight so we could look at Christmas decorations and possible get some for the front yard. I guess I'll just see how it goes. He can't wait.

No comments: