Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Schlitterbahn Waterpark

Last week we drove down to New Braunfels to go to Schlitterbahn Waterpark (we had to make up for not going during our Corpus Christi/South Padre Island trip).

I love Schlitterbahn. It seriously is the best family waterpark. Even at 8 months pregnant, I was able to enjoy myself the whole day, which is saying something. Tristan and Oliver were able to go on all the big rides/slides that Daniel wanted to do, and I hung out with the girls at all the different kid play areas - Schlitterbahn definitely knows how to put together good kid-friendly slides. They have so many different areas that were perfect for both Lizzy (2 years old) and Tristan (7 years old) and everyone in between. (I tried going down one of the kid slides to see if they were also perfect for a 27-year old pregnant mom, but it was a little faster than I expected and made me start having contractions, so I decided that was enough sliding for me).

The only thing that was less than ideal was the weather. Despite the forecast for a high of 97 and sunny skies, it ended up being pretty rainy and cold the whole day. At one point the rain started coming down super hard and I was worried we'd have to leave, but after awhile it slowed to an on-again/off-again drizzle, and we were able to continue playing and sliding. The kids didn't complain, and still had a lot of fun, but it was annoying to keep thinking about how much MORE fun we would be having if the sun was shining and the water didn't feel so icy cold. When I started to get too depressed about it I reminded myself that at least nobody was getting sunburned. Luckily we discovered some huge hot tub pools, so whenever the kids' lips were getting too blue we would go swim around in the hot tubs and warm up. It felt heavenly.

We stayed until closing time and then headed over to a nearby Rudy's BBQ for dinner before driving back home. Everybody was pretty worn out from having so much fun. Rachel is already asking when we're going to go back to Schlitterbahn and "can we please go on her birthday because she just loves it so much." I told her maybe next year, because we can only afford so much fun per summer.



2 comments:

Eliza said...

Joanne,
That looks very fun and it makes me want to go. It is too bad that it wasn't sunny- I hate that. If you stayed until closing it must have been ok though.

Beccarigg said...

That looks like sooo much fun! Teya would be in heaven in a place like that! I'm totally impressed with how much stuff they have for little kids! Very cool! And I'm glad you didn't send yourself into labor by going on those slides! Giving birth at a water park would be a great story, but probably not very fun : )