Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Gulf Coast Road Trip: The Beach

The day before we left Laura's house, we went to the Red Reef Park beach in Boca Raton. It was definitely one of my favorite days of the whole trip. I was a little unsure of how things were going to go (our last few beach experiences have been less than ideal), and I thought it would be a little hard with Henry and everything, but the whole afternoon could not have gone better.

It was the most perfect beach I've ever seen for young kids. The water was pretty calm and not too cold, and there was a perfect shallow area for the kids to wade/splash around in. Elizabeth was in heaven, and even Rachel, who has hated the beach since her Corpus Christi/South Padre disasters, was getting in the water and having fun. There were lots of little tide pools right on the shore, and the boys had a blast catching crabs and little fish. Henry also loved everything about the beach - there was a perfect area on the shore for him to crawl around and explore.

One of the coolest things about this beach, though, was that there is a man-made reef really close to shore that attracts tons of tropical fish, so it was perfect for snorkeling. Laura had brought some snorkeling masks, so she and I swam out and looked around at all the fish, and it was so much fun! I couldn't believe how many fish we could see - the water was so clear. Because the reef was so close to shore (you literally could just walk out and then put your face under the water and see the fish), Daniel took Tristan and Oliver out there with their goggles, and they loved it.

And I just realized that I used the word "perfect" maybe a little too much in the above paragraphs, but I am not even going to change it, because that's really what it was: perfect beach, perfect day!


Click to play this Smilebox slideshow:


6 comments:

Tristen said...

My word, girl. After FIVE pregnancies you look FANTASTIC, same as you did back in college! Cute swimsuit. These pictures are precious, I love those perfect days, thanks for sharing yours!

Sometimes we joke about being done with having kids after this upcoming (third) baby but then I read your blog and show it to my husband and we remember why we want a large family. Thanks for inspiring us that kids grow up and that it's all going somewhere for us! Your kids are precious and your family is beautiful-- EVERY one of your kids seem to bring so much to the family.

Eliza said...

That just looks like it was so much fun. I loved all the pictures of Henry as pleased as punch. The song with the waves swooshing in the background made me really want to go to the beach.

Laura said...

perfect day, indeed.

Beccarigg said...

Awesome beach music and background, totally put me in beach mode : ) Loved all the pics, especially the boys catching crabs and of course, Happy Henry! He kind of stole the show for me with his out of this world cuteness. He just looked so genuinely thrilled to be exploring the beach. What an awesome day!

Jesse said...

What a great trip. I loved looking through your photos!

Laura said...

this is just a side note--the reef is actually a natural one--not man-made. we went to another beach today that had one further out. it was a little too far for the kids to swim out to, but lovely for adults.