Monday, September 14, 2009

August pictures

Miscellaneous pictures from last month (proof that we did more than just abandon our kids and go to Boston):

Elizabeth is the queen of "set-ups", as she calls them. She will spend hours on these things. If you click to zoom on the following picture, you can see that she painstakingly stood up all of the empty polly pocket dresses to include them in the princess set-up (not an easy task on the carpet). She also included a lone polly pocket arm that was placed carefully next to Diego's orange hang-glider, which contains all of the polly pocket shoes.



Another set-up:


Oliver with one of his lego creations:


Rachel balancing:


Elizabeth working on the state puzzle. This is one of her favorite things to do - I keep it in a cupboard in the kitchen and she pulls it out pretty much every morning.


She learned most of the states this summer. On some of the hard sections, I noticed it helped her remember them if we made up silly little songs about a group of states. Here she is singing a few of her favorites:

"Minnesota, Iowa, and Missouri. . .Arkansas, I love you!"


"Wisonsin loves Michigan, on top of Indiana . . Illinois. . .Ohio!"


Rachel. I have no explanation:


Elizabeth's favorite hang-out spot in our study. She loves to count and sort out the shells we have collected. After she made this shell "set-up", she pointed to the whole pile and then declared that this was the number of kids she wants to have when she's a mom. In the picture she's pointing out to me which ones are boys and which ones are girls ("when I grow up, I want to be a mother, and have a family. . . one little, two little, 50 little shell children of my own!" Isn't that how the song goes?)


Henry has given up crawling forever. He has the cutest little waddle.


Oliver and Tristan on the first day of school. Oliver started 1st grade, and Tristan started 3rd grade (I am in complete denial that I have a 3rd grader, though. I am not ready to have old children). The reason they look all hot and sweaty is because they are. I forgot to take a picture when they left for school, so this is right after they walked home on the first day.


My little artists, hard at work on a Saturday morning:


A little experiment called "let's see if Henry's ready to feed himself." He wasn't.


Rachel. Again, no explanation.


And that's pretty much it for random pictures from August.

7 comments:

Eliza said...

I love those couple pictures of Rachel (the non explainable ones.) They are great. Bradshaw is really into legos right now- he would love to come and play with Oliver. He spends hours in the "lego room" (the soon to be baby room) building and rebuilding.

Laura said...

i love every bit of it. your children are the best. they really are fabulous. so are you.

Laura said...

yes, the triathlon was in miami, along the very street where we walked. it started at the corner that we started our beach walk on (at south beach--no topless people there that early in the morning) and went along the boardwalk. i ran past hotel victor, even.
i like how it's early in the morning, too. watching the sun come up and knowing most people are in bed gives me a rush for some reason. i did my warm up in the ocean before the sun came up, which was really fun. and it's so warm here all the time, we don't really need the sun. actually, that's why they start so early here is because it's too hot later on. victor's triathlon didn't start until 8:30 or 9 or something.
i really, really, really want you to do one. it's been such a fun thing for me.

Beccarigg said...

Oh how I love your children! They make me smile, laugh and just feel warm and fuzzy inside. Elizabeth's voice is such a treasure. Whenever I'm sad I'm just going to come to your blog and watch video's of her talking. SO CUTE! and Rachel, Oh my goodness, what a ham! Henry melts my heart as always and the boys are getting soo big! I'm also just amazed at how well your kids play on their own. (drawing, making set ups, etc...) How did you teach them to do that? I feel like every time I send Teya off to play it lasts for 5 minutes and then she either wants me to play with her (which I should do more, I admit) or she wants to watch t.v. If you have any advice on this subject send it my way!

Marian said...

i love your kids, jo. how fun and cute. i need to take more pictures of my kids, i've decided. i hate my camera, which is probably the reason i don't.

Natalie said...

I love all of those pictures! It is the weirdest thing because every time I look at your blog and see all of the cute things your kids are doing and the cute pictures you've posted I think that they have grown so much! Really weird since I see them every other week!!

Audra said...

London wants me to explain the pictures of Rachel...The pictures are all so cute. Love you guys!