Friday, December 8, 2006

"Will I get hit by the ball?"

I just had an interesting conversation with Oliver. He was drawing a picture at the kitchen table while I was cleaning up from lunch.

Oliver: Mom, do the people who draw pictures in books ever mess up?

Me: Yes, they do lots of practice pictures and then just put the good ones in the book. You are so good at drawing pictures. Maybe you could illustrate books when you grow up.

Oliver: But Mom, look at how bad I'm coloring. I don't know how to color pictures in a book.

Me: You could learn how to illustrate at college.

Oliver: But I already go to college.

Me: No, you don't.

Oliver: Hmm. But isn't college like jail?

Me: No, of course not! BYU is a college.

Oliver: Aaah! Will I get hit by the ball?

(I think here he is assuming that BYU is just one big never-ending football game with footballs flying all over the place.)

He obviously has a solid understanding of how the world works.

1 comment:

KarenB said...

This is hilarious. It's funny how he thought he already went to college and then asked if college wasn't like jail...