Monday, October 22, 2007

She Doesn't Ask for Much


I was tucking in my precious 3-year old for her nap the other day, being very tender and loving and kind, and this is what happened:

Me: I sure love you a lot.

Rachel (looking up at me sweetly, surely about to say how much she loves me back): Mom, when are you going to start being REALLY nice to me?

Me: What??? What do you mean? What things would I do if I was REALLY nice to you?

Rachel: You know - you would give me lots of ice-cream and buy me a new bed and all that stuff.

Me: ?????

Me: Since when do you need a new bed? You already have two beds in your room.

End of conversation. The mom is left wondering what the heck 'all that stuff' is that she's supposed to be buying, and what on earth made 3-year old think she needed a new bed. The 3-year old is left in her unsatisfactory bed, probably wishing she could somehow trade in for a mom who was REALLY nice.

I just love these kinds of meaningful heart-to-heart conversations.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh poor Joanne...Well I know you're one of the world's greatest Mom's and I would bet that she really does know. But really where do little kids learn to say some things. Just a bit ago Addy yellled at Gretch at target, 'you ust love to starve your children.'

KarenB said...

Rachel cracks me up. How does she come up with these things?