Sunday, October 28, 2007

Sign Language

Tristan and Rachel have decided to only use sign language when answering 'yes' or 'no'. I don't know how Tristan learned it, but one day he just started doing it. Then out of the blue, Rachel became a mute answerer, too: I asked her a question and heard no answer. I turned around, and there she was, solemnly staring at me, signing 'no'. Now they both do it all the time. They never forget. Actually, Rachel sometimes forgets, but then she has me ask the question again, and she answers in sign language. I have learned that I need to be facing them when I ask them something, or else I think they're ignoring me. Weirdos.

Update: After I wrote this, Rachel decided to make up a new sign. She asked me what the sign was for 'you're welcome', and upon hearing that I didn't know it, she promptly made up her own sign. It's hard to describe, but it involves putting both arms up kind of like chicken wings and then waggling them up and down. It almost looks like a legitimate sign. Anyway, I know at least she's considering it legitimate, because first thing this morning I thanked her for something, and sure enough, I received the chicken sign.


No comments: