Thursday, January 10, 2008

Oliver versus Rachel

I just remembered something funny that Rachel did the other day. I guess she and Oliver got into a bit of a scuffle, and she came sniffling into the study holding her throat and said, "Mom, Oliver kicked me right in the brain!" I feel bad because I immediately started laughing a little because it sounded so funny to be kicked in the brain, but of course I had to hide it quickly and then act concerned (which I guess I really would have been if there had been actual brain matter involved in the injury, but I suspected that something was not quite right with her story).

Anyway, I asked her to show me where he kicked her, and she pointed to her throat and there was a big red mark on her neck. She said, "See, I already told you, Mom - it was right here on my brain." Then I felt really bad, because I accidentally laughed again, even though I actually think getting kicked in the neck would be really painful.

I tried to gently explain to her that her brain was not in her throat and it was in fact kept safe inside her head.

I keep laughing as I think about it, and I'm not sure why it's so funny.

As a side note, the next day she got back at Oliver by pushing him into the wall and possibly breaking his nose. I am still puzzled as to how she gathered up enough strength to do that, but his nose looks pretty bad. Here he is a few days after the incident:


6 comments:

Jesse said...

I'm not surprised that Rachel would be able to hold her own with her brothers. I love the way you share your experiences. Your reactions are perfect.

Jennifer M said...

Great post. Your kids are so funny. Blog question: how did you make your link list of Memories?

Beccarigg said...

I totally would've laughed too if Teya told me she'd been kicked in the brain! It's actually kind of funny because whenever Taber is mad at somebody and he wants to get a laugh he says, "I'm just want to punch him in the brain!" For some reason kicking or punching + the word brain = funny! : )

Joanne said...

Oh, good. That makes me feel better. Although now I'm laughing at Taber because it's funny to picture him saying something like that.

Gretchen said...

I've been there Rachy!. Brothers sure are good at teaching us how to hold our own. When we first moved into our house we were outside playing and Anthony did something that made me mad and so I tackled him. Cody Finch (our neighbor) looked at Daniel and said, "Wow, I've never seen a girl tackle like that before." I was very emberassed. This was probably the first time that I realized that this wasn't very "lady-like". I know I got a smile from my brothers though.

Glory Watts said...

I'm glad to hear my kids aren't the only ones who like to kick and push each other. Maybe Oliver has learned a valuable lesson...don't mess with Rachel!