Monday, January 21, 2008

One, Two, Skip a Few. . .

Last week Tristan came home from school with a "sweet new trick" that he wanted to show me. It turned out he had learned a special "new" way to count to 100 very quickly, and he proudly performed it for me: 1,2, skip a few, 99, 100! He was a little surprised and disappointed to learn that I actually had heard that one before, and even more surprised to learn that I used to say it myself when I was little (I think it might be hard for my kids to picture me ever saying anything cool when I was younger). He couldn't believe it had been around for that long, and he wanted to know who had invented such a fabulous trick (he guessed that it was a little kid who was "really funny and a little bit goofy").

He then wanted to go show Daniel, in case he hadn't heard it, and I told him that I thought Daniel probably had. He still went in to tell him (just in case), and it ended up working out perfectly - he asked Daniel how fast he could count to 100, and Daniel took a deep breath and started counting and actually did count all the way to 100 very, very quickly. When he was done he looked at Tristan to see if he was impressed, and Tristan just smiled and said, "Oh, yeah? I can do it faster - 1,2, skip a few, 99, 100!" Daniel started laughing, and Tristan was very pleased that his little joke had worked (although he did admit later that he was surprised at how fast Daniel had been able to really count to 100 - I don't think he was expecting that).

It was funny because I absolutely remember learning that trick when I was little, and thinking that it was so cool and such a tricky thing to be able to do to people. It's weird when you see your kids learn the same random silly things you did, and it makes me wonder who is teaching these things.

Except, of course, Tristan took it a step further than I ever would have, and said, "But Mom, I figured out that it really should say, "1, 2, skip 96, 99, 100". I had to think for a second before I realized he was right.


Random picture that has nothing to do with the post, but I added because I just like to have pictures to go along:


Tristan and Oliver drawing/journal writing while listening to music on Tristan's new MP3 player (Thanks, Grandpa Darcy!)

2 comments:

Jennifer M said...

What a smarty-pants you have!

Beccarigg said...

That's funny that he was surprised you already knew that. That kind of reminds me of when Taber was in elementary school he thought he made up "missed me, missed me, now you've gotta kiss me" And when anybody else said it he was like, "Oh my gosh, I totally made that up! I can't believe they're all copying me!"