Tuesday, January 29, 2008

It Must be Hard to be Three


Sweet, Innocent, Ballerina Rachel


Crazy Rachel


Three-year olds are so funny. Half the time Rachel says things that make me think she is really growing up and learning how the world works (I promise she's more well-adjusted than the stories on here make her sound), but then just as often she says things that make me wonder how kids ever learn how to be normal (and those are the things that are fun to post). She's old enough to want to act grown-up, but she's still too young to know quite how to do it.

She was making me laugh on Sunday at church. We were sitting out in the foyer (no room in the chapel) and Rachel had noticed that a nearby classroom door was open and someone was sitting in there. I did not see anything strange about this, but for some reason it was causing Rachel a lot of stress. She kept tiptoeing around and trying to peek in the room and then running past so the person wouldn't see her.

She then called me over to her, pointing to the room and whispering, "Mom, mom, mom.. .this is weird. You've got to see this. Look - there is only one human in that room! Can you believe that?"

And I'm thinking: Well, yeah, actually, I can. What I can't believe is that you just referred to that person as a "human". Since when is that normal? I know I did not teach you that.

Oh, wait. This is getting better. Now look at my lovely daughter. Apparently she has more strange behavior in store for us. She is standing by the door with her mouth pressed up against the glass yelling, "Luuuuke! I am your faaaather!" People are giving her strange looks. Should I go grab her away from the window, or is now the time to go sit down with the rest of the family and pretend I don't know her?

We made it through Sacrament meeting (sort of), and then it was time to go to class. Everyone started coming out of the chapel just in time to hear Rachel loudly proclaim as she pointed toward the open classroom, which was now full of people, "It's okay, Mom! I checked again and now there are LOTS of humans to be in there with that other human!"

Me: Oh, good. I'm so glad to hear that. Now let's get you to class before you do any more damage to our reputation in the ward.

5 comments:

Audra said...

Wow, I just love her. She is so funny. Maybe she gets the 'human' thing from Daniel, I thinks I've heard Daniel say something like that, and it's really funny. Or maybe she's just trying to use the absolute correct term for things...like Tristan saying at church 'Dad, I need to urinate.'(Our family sat at talked about your great blog on Sunday which brought up other adorable thins your family has done, needless to say, we sure miss you guys!)

Beccarigg said...

Rachel is always such a hoot! Not only does she have a funny and original way of thinking, but her pictures are too cute! I especially love seeing her in super hero costumes! That just makes me smile!

Gretchen said...

I'm still laughing. Never a dull moment at your house. She is such a crack-up. I wander when she had her face pressed up against the window if she was aware that everyone was watching her or if she was just in her own world. I have to say thank you for introducing us to the whole blogging world. I agree that we sure miss you guys, but it makes it a lot easier when we keep in touch.

Jesse said...

Ha! I sense that she spends a lot of time playing with her brothers. 'Human' seems like such a guy thing to say. I love how unpretentious kids are when they do these hillarious things. They are not trying to be funny. Usually they're very serious and concerned. Soo funny.

Anonymous said...

i love rachel! i love all your kids, but she is about the funniest little person i've ever met. thanks for sharing all your stories.