Saturday, August 1, 2009

Henry turns one!

Henry's birthday was also on Thursday (July 30th). I really can't believe he's one year old already. It doesn't feel like it's been that long since I was making Rachel's volcano birthday cake and having contractions.

Like I mentioned in Rachel's birthday post, we had the kids start opening presents nice and early before Daniel went to work. I think Henry was a little overwhelmed/confused as to why I was making him sit on the floor in the family room with a pile of packages instead of feeding him breakfast. He was slightly suspicious of the whole event (he had still been sleeping while Rachel was opening her presents, so he couldn't really take any present-opening cues from her).

Opening his first present. "What is going on here? Is this some kind of trick?"


"Okay, this is kind of cool."


"Can I just have my oatmeal now?"



Opening his presents quickly became a group effort:


He did really like his little football, but I was at just the wrong angle to capture his big grin. Can you see the edges of it? At least I managed to capture Rachel's fly-away hair entering the picture:


Okay, this one isn't Henry, but Elizabeth was feeling a little left out after seeing both Rachel and Henry open their presents, so she asked me if I could take a little picture of her holding her bracelet:


Playing with his new toys:


Watching the cakes cook:


The two birthday kids together:


Playing in his favorite cupboard:


Ready for cake. He has a guilty look on his face because I had underestimated his reach, and had put both cakes a little too close - he managed to quickly swipe off a chunk of Rachel's kitty cake's ear before I scooted them out of the way.


His own little mini cake:


First taste:


Digging in:


Cleaning up:



Happy birthday to our one-year old! He is such a delightful, delightful little guy. He gets more and more fun as he gets older - he loves playing little games now, and is learning lots of new tricks. He likes to babble and laugh a lot, but he also knows how to say some real words (mama, dada, clock, uh-oh, gucky-gucky, no-no-no, more, ni-night, blanket). He also learned how to walk just this last week (I think he was determined to learn before he turned one). He still can't take more than about 10 steps at a time, but he gets a little better every day.

We love you, Henry! Please don't get old too fast!













4 comments:

Laura said...

oh, i those pj's he's wearing just melt me! i love the snap-together jammies on babies. pace has one more pair that still fit him (sort of). at least i know that when he grows out of them i'll get to see them on henry.

Eliza said...

Happy birthday Henry and Rachel! I've been a bad aunt, forgetting birthdays and such. Sheesh. Rachel looks like she had a very enjoyable birthday, and Henry is just about the cutest little guy I know. Fat and happy- that's what I ordered this time around. (For the baby, not me).

Beccarigg said...

Two words: Love. Him.

Seriously, it's like looking at his pictures releases happy endorphins because he is just so darn cute! I love the present opening pics and your narration too. That's so cool that he's walking! Brinley is taking steps too but she's very cautious and reserved. Still more of a full time crawler with small bursts of walking.

Oh yeah, picture of Elizabeth is HILARIOUS! That is SO something Teya would do!

Gretchen said...

He is so handsome. I love his big brown eyes and I love the baby pictures of him. It just reminds me how as mothers we only get that stage for a moment and I shouldnt wish it away no matter how exciting the next stage is. Although the older Charlie gets the more he becomes Addy and Becks little buddy and it sure does make it fun. I just dont know what we're going to do when we have our last baby. It goes too fast.