Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Oliver's 7th Birthday

Oliver turned seven on Monday (August 17th). I can't believe he's seven already!

I remember the day he was born so well - he was the only one of my five children that I knew when he was going to be born. My doctors induced labor because they thought he was going to be too small.

He wasn't:


Anyway, the day I got induced and he was born also happened to be my mom's birthday, and she spent pretty much her whole birthday in the hospital with me and Daniel, helping out (thanks, Mom!). It's always been fun for Oliver to share her birthday.

His birthday this year was a little crazy, because Daniel and I had just gotten back into town after being in Boston for five days (posts to come). Daniel's sister had been staying with all the kids. Anyway, we got home super late Sunday night, and then Daniel had to go into work really early on Monday, so we woke Oliver up to open up his presents before Daniel left. He didn't mind at all.

Here he is getting ready to open his presents:


Checking out his new transformer toy with Dad:


Investigating the new erupting volcano set:

Happy about his new pirate legos:


Everybody crowding around to discuss how cool the new pirate legos are:


Experimenting with space sand:


Decorating his cake all by himself. I think I'll convince all my kids that this is the way to go - no more cake decorating for me!:


The finished product. If you look closely you can tell that the skittles spell out "Oliver" and also "7". Or maybe you can't tell, but trust me, they do:


Posing with the cake:

Rachel and Ollie both being very pleased with the thought of eating it:


Happy birthday, Oliver!



Here's a little video clip of the kids eating their cake. I shot it with my camera, and then loaded it straight onto the computer without editing it, so that's why it goes on for a little bit, and includes things like Lizza shouting out all the time and me trying to get Henry to say "more" over and over again, and him not listening to me (normally I like to edit those kinds of things out). So you may want to just stop watching at about 23 seconds, because that's about all I wanted to post.


Oliver is such a good kid, and he's always a fun guy to have around. Since he was really young, he has been able to make people happy with his great smile and personality.

His Great-grandma and Grandpa Mott send Oliver a birthday card that they said reminded them of him, and I thought it fit perfectly. It said "To know you is to love you!", and I think that's pretty much how we all feel about Oliver around here.

7 comments:

Laura said...

i love it all. the cake is fabulous. don't let my children know that's how you let your children decorate their cakes, or there will be a revolt at my house when the next birthday comes around. i might have to send all my kids to your house to celebrate their birthdays.

Poppy said...

It must be birthday season at the Mott house, it seems like you are partying all the time! I like the "let them decorate" thing, too, I will try that one for the next birthday.

Jesse said...

Yes, the cake decorating is a stroke of genius!

I refuse to believe that Oliver is 7. Really?!

Beccarigg said...

To know him IS to love him. Even in that short time we were there Ollie stole our hearts. (especially Taber's! He really made an impression on him )He just lights up the room with that smile of his. His dimples are to die for and his whole demeanor is just sweetness. He's grown a lot in the 3 years since we've seen him but his smile still lights up those pictures. Glad he had a great birthday and like everyone else said, the cake decorating idea is GENIUS! He really went to town with those skittles!

Beccarigg said...

p.s. Can't WAIT to hear about Boston! Lucky!

Eliza said...

Happy Birthday Oliver! That cake is very fun. My kids were so impressed. Shayne said "Dad has got to see that cake when he gets home" and she showed him as soon as he walked in. I wonder if she'll remember in January? We might have to come back and look at pictures so she can replicate it (but without it saying Oliver and 7).

Marliese said...

Joanne, you deserve a medal for pulling off so many birthdays in a such a short time span! Looks like you successfully made each birthday kid feel special, and super happy. What a fun household you lead (with Daniel, of course).