Saturday, August 1, 2009

Rachel turns five!

Rachel's fifth birthday was on Thursday (July 30th). I think she was about the most excited any of my kids have ever been for one of their birthdays - she's pretty much been counting down the days since July 31st of last year.

Daniel had to go into work early Thursday morning, so we let the kids get up a few minutes before 7:00 (Rachel viewed this as a very special birthday privilege, because usually I make them stay in bed until 7:00) so we could start the present opening.


Here's Rachel very pleased with her new princess dining set (it's been a looong month and a half since Elizabeth got hers for her birthday). I love Rachel's wild morning hair:

New fuzzy slipper crocs:

A fun new book from Grandma and Grandpa Johnson:

Her own Legos! I think this was the biggest hit of the day. She kept repeating to me over and over, "I just can't believe I have my OWN legos!!!"

Her own chapstick came in pretty close, though:

And she was also pretty happy about her new princess dress:

Which inspired much dressing up and posing from everybody:

Then the pirates and princesses moved on to do some serious Lego building:

Enjoying her picnic hotdog birthday lunch. She was pretending she was eating at a fancy restaurant, and I was designated "Person in Charge of Restaurant." She really called me that. I would go back and forth from the kitchen to the back porch, and she would say in a really high pretending voice, "Um, Person in Charge of the Restaurant, I think we could use a little more pink lemonade out here please, okay?"

Helping me whip up some birthday cakes:

Decorating her own mini cake:

So that I could work on the kitty cake that she had requested:

The two birthday buddies posing together:

With their cakes:

Blowing out the candles:



We really are so lucky to have Rachel in our family. She is such a funny, sweet, obedient little girl.









5 comments:

Poppy said...

So cute! I love all the pictures of the princess with the light saber!

Laura said...

love the cakes, love rachel's hair, love ollie's face when he's posing as a pirate. and in the slideshow i love the picture of rachel reading on the couch with an umbrella propped up by her.
i guess you can consider this post a success. i always love your posts, though, so that's nothing new.

beth said...

i certainly hope our rachel can turn out much like yours has so far. she seems so smart, just like all of your children!

Beccarigg said...

Okay, I can not stop laughing at Rachel's crazy hair! It totally MAKES the pictures! I love her HUGE genuine grin too. That's a happy birthday girl if I ever saw one! So cute that she was thrilled to have her own legos, (and chapstick) Teya would be in heaven if I ever gave her my chapstick, not a bad birthday present idea!

Gretchen said...

I just love this little girl. I can tell she had a great day. I love how these pictures capture a glimpse into her little world. It looks so magical and innocent. You sure do a great job Joanne (and Daniel). Happy birthday Rachy!