Monday, August 31, 2009

Boston Trip - Last Day

On our last morning in Boston we finished up the section of the Freedom Trail that we had left off on Friday.

Here is a statue of Mr. Benjamin Franklin, himself:


And Josiah Quincy, former mayor of Boston, and the guy who predicted that Joseph Smith would someday be written about in textbooks as having "the most powerful influence upon the destinies of his countrymen" of anyone in the 19th century.


We also went to the Granary Burial Ground, where John Hancock, Paul Revere, and Samuel Adams were buried.



Here's the capitol building:


After that we said goodbye to Boston, and headed south (we were flying out of Providence, RI later that evening). It was sad to leave. I definitely want to go back someday.

On our drive down, we stopped in Plymouth, MA, so see a little bit of pilgrim history.

Here I am in front of a replica of the Mayflower:


We also got to see Plymouth Rock:



After we had walked around Plymouth for awhile, we continued on our drive toward Providence.

It was fun driving in Rhode Island, and getting to see what it looks like there. I've never been able to picture what our smallest state is like, and now I have a clear image in my mind. We stopped once more in Newport, RI, and it looked like a really fun place to spend a day, but we were running out of time, so we kept going.

We got into Austin really late, so a friend of mine came over to the house to stay with all the sleeping kids while Audra came to pick us up. I figured we had planned our vacation to be just the right amount of time, because as much fun as I had in Boston, I was ready to see the kids again.

As soon as we got home, I woke Henry up so I could nurse him (Daniel had been hinting that maybe I should, but I know it was not out of concern for Henry, but more because he was dying to talk to him and play with him, and couldn't wait until morning). I had pumped pretty much every day for a month before we left so Audra would have enough milk to feed Henry while we were gone, and I had also pumped throughout our trip to keep my milk supply up, but I was so nervous he wouldn't, or I wouldn't be able to, etc. He was thrilled to see us, though, and had no problem starting right up again. He was so cute, and kept patting me the whole time he nursed, like he was making sure I was still there.

Here's Audra with all the kids before we took her and London back to the airport the next day. This girl is amazing - she cheerfully took care of our five kids, plus her own almost-two year old, and she also happens to be six-months pregnant. Thank you, Audra, for making our trip possible!


We've been trying to figure out where we're going to go next year. We're thinking about Philadelphia. Who wants to come babysit?

2 comments:

Beccarigg said...

This whole Boston thing was really good for me to read. There's a General Mills plant in Boston and a real possibility that we could go there. For some reason I've just thought I could NEVER live on the East Coast, but your pictures make a pretty convincing argument. It just seems so beautiful out there and there's soooo much to do. (plus, the Boston Cream pie picture from your earlier post has burned itself into my mind and I will never be content now until I have some. : )

Also, Audra is sooo awesome! Sisters (and sister's in law) are the best! Of course, I'm sure it was a treat for her too, your kids pretty much put themselves to bed at 7pm right? ah that would be heaven!

Marian said...

that is such a cute picture of audra with all the kids. do you think she would come watch my kids while chad and i took a trip? we're practically related, right?